We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

Just got back from Vegas a few hours ago, and my friends checked bag had a locked lock on it which is now gone. Is it possible TSA or security removed & searched her bag AFTER it was checked in and without being in her presence? Can they do that?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

yes

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

Absolutely. TSA has a right to search your luggage whenever they desire or are short on lunch money.

That's why some people purchase the advertised "TSA Locks" so the TSA can use their skeleton key to check then relock the luggage.

Personally, I don't see the point in luggage lock but, then again, I'm a carry-on guy.

loveland, co
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

Yes, they can do that. I thought you were not supposed to lock your bags when you check them in case they want to search them.

DH opened his bag when we got home( no lock) and there was a big brightly colored paper that said "your baggage has been opened and checked at security". I can see why. I had all the power and charger cords in it and a big metal monopod (Tripod with one leg) . Probably looked like a bomb.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 02:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

Most definitely ...... next time use the tsa locks which they (tsa) are able to open then lock up again when they are done.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

I use the TSA locks and have had my luggage inspected a few times while using them. I can usually tell that things have been moved around in the bag (except for the time they only turned my bottle of vodka upside down and moved nothing else). And they have left me the little "Hi, we're the TSA, we love you, and we searched your stuff" notes.

I only use the lock to try to keep the bag from popping open when the baggage handlers are playing "keep away" with the luggage on the tarmac, not to keep the TSA out of it.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

I've found that if you wear your skivies for 5 straight days and put them on the very top of your packings, the TSA will usually not mangle anything inside.

Just a TSA travel tip...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

WOW! I can't believe they do this. If they do, I wish they would leave a note so you know what happened to you lock.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

They have been doing this for years. It is nothing new. They do leave a note. We have had our luggage gone through many times. We use a TSA lock and they just put it back on.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

If you use an non-tsa lock, tsa will cut the lock off, even if they don't open your bag. I've actually had them remove tsa locks and not return them. Now I just use twist ties and make sure there's nothing in my luggage I can't easily replace.

Royal Oak Mich
Level Contributor
761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone had lock removed from luggage after checked in?

If your worried about your luggage opening accidentally, I've had luck using a cable (wire) tie, something easily found at a hardware store. Its easy to cut off if they need to, and its alot cheaper than replacing the TSA locks, which always seem to disappear on my return trip from Vegas.