We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Hi Guys

Staying in Golden Nugget from 4th-11th May. 4 couples,its my wife's 30th birthday on 6th May and two other people have birthdays roundabout that time. Whats the chances of an upgrade and if so how i do approach it? Leave it and see if they notice or lay it on thick? thoughts/suggestions welcome!!

James

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Tip $20 bucks lay it on top of credit card or driver license and ask if there is any upgrades avail. Let them know its your wife's birthday and i am sure it will work.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

"i am sure it will work."

Why are you sure? How many times have you done this at the Golden Nugget, and what kind of upgrade did it get you?

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

And it doesn't matter the hotel..they each have their own guidelines PLUS it is all based on availability when you check in and during the length of your stay. We've had luck getting suites mostly when we've only been booked for a single night and not on a weekend. We do not offer a bribe but politely ask and if upgraded to a suite, we do tip the employee for the kind gesture.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Ask nice. Throwing in $20 probably won't help, but it's not going to hurt either.

Here and there
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Golden Nugget doesnt give free upgrades often, but they will try and sell you one if you ask.

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

It has worked for me at a number of hotels on the strip. It is downtown and less people go there so it should work there too. The economy is bad and lot of front desk clerks our working part time now so they will take it in a minute. There is always that one person though that is a jerk. Look at this website and it will show you the success rate of the 20.00 trick. www.frontdesktip.com/

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

"Look at this website and it will show you the success rate of the 20.00 trick. www.frontdesktip.com/"

OK, looking at this website it doesn't have any reports at all from the Golden Nugget since June of last year, and a 60% "success rate" overall and also includes this entry from 2008:

"When I presented the sandwich she politely gave it back saying they recieved a memo on the sandwich's and it was told not to accept them or get fired. She did talk to the manager though and got us a north tower pool view room upgrade for free. "

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

Well maybe he should choose a better hotel esp if its his wife 30th birthday lol.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

The chances are zero if you don't ask.

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the chances of a free room upgrade???

ps it doesn't hurt to try. Hey irishfan are you one of those cheap people who hates to tip? lol