We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short TR 03-11/03-14

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,183 posts
Save Topic
Short TR 03-11/03-14

Keeping it relatively short n' sweet and focusing on the meat instead of the potatoes, as piles of work prevent me from writing the novel I want. (-;

This was a birthday trip for moi, with friends that joined me from California.

Hotel: Orleans. Rating: very good mid budget, caters to locals (every local I know loves this joint). Room: all rooms are gigantic, had a new rehabbed one on 20th floor (2087), worth asking for. Only downside is the 50" HDTV only shows analog so late night drunken viewing isn't as much fun...neither is watching sports. Had a 2 night comp to use so paid regular rate Thursday only ($35) for a 480 sq. foot standard room with all amenities on a nice quiet floor.

Food: dining options at this hotel are varied, from the one upscale joint (Canal Street) to a row of fast food options near the poker room and everything in between. 24 hour coffee shop is very good, 24 room service from there AND Fuddruckers. TGI Fridays offers 1/2 price appys all day in the bar. Don Miguels offers decent Mexican fare and good beer choices (99 cent margs from 3-5), and Koji does a wide Asian selection from standard Chinese fare to a fresh sushi bar.

Did the b-day dinner at Prime Rib Loft. Absolutely worth it and I highly recommend. Especially since they produce a quality product and don't gouge you on the price or stick you with all the acoutrements a-la-carte. Decent wine list too which is very well priced. Brought me free cheesecake for dessert, which was great - I'm a sucker for a nice dense NY style cheesecake.

Gaming: Lots of variety for everyone from the shoe clerks like me, to people who like to get more of their game on, and pretty much everything with old school odds and not the whacked out stuff you see so many places on the Strip. Never made a plug nickel this trip (for the sake of full disclosure) but managed to be entertained nonetheless.

Drink: Always available, never skimped on, and incredibly reasonable (was drinking vodka water with a twist for $3.50 when I wasn't getting comp ones, cocktails were same). Every bar has VP and no minimum betting to qualify for comp drinks, as long as you're betting you're drinking...they were topping off my vodka water with Grey Goose, so not a bad tradeoff IMO.

Entertainment: plenty to be had at this place (movies, hockey arena, band, karaoke) but didn't partake this trip on-site. Hit Bill's for the Big Elvis show on Friday (strong hint - arrive early if you want a seat or forget it - and by early I mean at least an hour).

Had also pre-booked Richard Petty Driving Experience for 03/13 AM run...worth every penny, I'm SO doing that again. Best adrenaline rush ever. And I'll probably do it again on any track I can find it at - this is a great tour.

Observations:

1. Aria and City Center look like downtown Manhattan office buildings...all steel, no feel.

2. Could there BE any more Cirque shows?

3. Blueberry Hill is probably one of the best breakfast deals around (I favour the one on Flamingo east of M. Parkway). 24 hours a day and always packed day or night with locals and those in the know.

4. I dislike drunk and stupid spring breakers in Vegas just as much as anywhere else.

All in all came home lighter in the wallet, plenty more laughs and memories, and now need to spend a few days wringing out the liver before I contemplate another jaunt to Sin City. I admit the place just continues to grow on me the older I get. (-;

Edited: 16 March 2010, 18:52
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Lots of good information and good times in that "short" report. Thanks for sharing!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,473 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Glad to read another TR from the Orleans, we love it there! Thanks for sharing.

3Chihuahuas

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Glad you had a good time at The Orleans. 146 more days until I'll be there.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
553 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Great TR and informative to boot! Blueberry Hill has been on my list of places to try - thanks for the info. Good to know about Big Elvis - I wouldn't imagine having to arrive that early but will keep that in mind as that show is also on my list.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

If you don't like the loud spring breakers Orleans is an excellent choice. We've stayed in the renovated rooms a few times, and they are nice, but it really isn't that important like some hotels. They really aren't that different, and the regular rooms are still very nice there. And as you mentioned the TV really doesn't matter without HD programs.

Thanks for the report.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

We arrived about 1:30 for the 3:00 BE show, and there was us and perhaps 3 other tables taken. Before 2:00 hit, every table was gone and people were hovering around seeing who might leave, and they would swoop in. It was standing room only by 2:30.

Regarding the Orleans, it just seems to have everything I want in a hotel without all the fuss or muss and without paying through the nose. I'm not a frills kinda person and I like a good quality deal. Orleans is a good quality deal.

Oh - and the shuttle is perfect.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Thanks for posting. I enjoy Blueberry Hill also. Although we don't get there that often anymore, since we haven't been renting a car on recent trips. I'm leaving for Vegas in 11 days, and hoping there aren't too many spring breakers left (fingers crossed :).

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Thanks for your TR. You provided a lot of useful information about the Orleans. Prime Rib Loft was always a great choice.

Except for Mandarin Oriental , Vdara and the art galleries- I wasn't tremendously impressed with CCenter. Did you gamble at all at Aria?

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I can't wait to CityCenter in a few weeks.

I agree on the could there be anymore Cirque shows in Vegas!!!???

Arizona
Level Contributor
465 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short TR 03-11/03-14

Thanks for the trip report. Love Blueberry Hill....especially their pancakes!