We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Mexican Food

Connecticut
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Authentic Mexican Food

Hi There,

We will be in Las Vegas on Friday and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Mexican Restaurants either on the strip, near Freemont St or on the way towards the Hoover Dam/Western Rim of the GC.

We have a couple of chains in Connecticut but nothing great.

Thanks,

Cathy in CT

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

If you have a car, Lindo Michoacan off the Strip is a good pick for authentic Mexican food. Not much of those on The Strip; I guess Venetian's Dos Caminos counts.

And, why GC West as opposed to South

chicago
Level Contributor
107 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

I'm not sure how authentic Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo cantina is , but I know their chicken fajita burrito was outstanding.... it's across Bellagio /next to PH.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Thanks for the replies!

Chocopenguin - We are going to the West Rim because we only rented a car for one day and we thought that it would take too long to get to the Southern Rim. I've heard that it's much nicer going on the longer trip but I guess it's a time factor.......

Thanks Again,

Cathy

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Cathy, the GC West will cost you a pretty penny to go to compared to GC National Park, especially w/ rental car. Check this out: Parking- $20. Shuttle- $30. Skywalk-$35, and no camera or cell phone...

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Also, the 14 mile entrance road to GC West is not totally paved still, and your rental agreement might not allowed you to drive on such roads. On the flip side, entrance to GC South Rim is $25/car.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Not entirely sure of the authenticity...

But Isla in TI is our fav MX spot anywhere. Great ambiance, drinks, food, prices.

Every time we go it is the same servers--it feels like a family owned restaurant (tho I know it is one of several owned by the same guy across the country, but not a chain)

BEST mojitos ANYWHERE (just the $10 one...not hte $100 one...;-)

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

We tried Gonzalez Y Gonzalez in NYNY a couple of times and loved the food, very reasonably priced and their margaritas were excellent and cheaper than most we tried.

We also tried the Boarder Grill in Mandalay Bay and were not impressed, everything we ordered had a sweet taste to it (maybe thats how real mex is supposed to taste), plus it wasn't the cheapest spot to eat.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

I will second Lindo Michoacan. We visited last year on the way back from Hoover Dam and it was great!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Mexican food varies by region - majority of the restaurants offering Mexican food are typically serving Tex-Mex. Choco has it right though - Lindo Michoacan is pretty authentic and very good. Authentic Mexican food will have a very different flavor than Tex-Mex which is what places like Gonzalez Y Gonzalez will have - still good food, but different taste.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Mexican Food

Some differences between authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex:

Dishes like chimichangas and fajitas are Tex-Mex.

Real Mexican food tends to feature chicken and pork more than beef.

A real Mexican restaurant will usually make a big deal about its mole sauce.