We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

It will be a year since our last trip in July 2009.

Just wondering what's new to see and do.

Not sure where we'll stay. Have some free nights at the Fremont and at Fitzgeralds. Haven't stayed at Fitz. before. Didn't they have some elevator problems?

Please give some DT updates.

Thanks all!

Cornwall, New York
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

New is the Firefly at the Plaza. The Bay City Diner is now a different resturant with higher prices and a different menu

I was scheduled to stay at the Fitz in Feb, but my flight got canceled due to bad east coast weather. Several people that I trust had told me that the elevators were not an issue.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

New "fancy" Chart House restaurant in the new tower at Golden Nugget. We haven't tried it , but did go by to see the aquarium in the entrance area of it- smaller fish than the Shark Tank, but much more colorful and very interesting. Lilly's at Golden Nugget now has Benihana style cooking stations as well as their noodle dishes.

I'm not sure if Martini Madness from 5-7 every day at the El Cortez bars is new- or if we just noticed it- 2/1 martinis , cosmos, etc - so 2/$7 and you can split it between two people . Scott, the wonderful bartender there made me a specialty Cabana Martini last trip- blue with citrus vodka and curacao and absolutely delicious!

And Binions Coffee shop downstairs has closed and they instead expanded the snack bar to table /waitress as well as counter service and it serves full breakfasts too. It seemed mobbed when we were there in February ( lines waiting for tables on weekdays) and probably will be even more crowded now that Bay City at GG is gone. We like the food , but the crowds are annoying and the wait staff seems to have some trouble working in concert with the veteran short order cooks there , who are used to running their own show. One veteran cook there has left and I wonder if she found the situation too erractic- there's lots of near misses of bumping into each other from what I can see- sort of an interesting free show to observe...

Nice to see a post again Maria - we are looking for airfare for our next trip Downtown too- hope you have a good time!

Edited: 28 March 2010, 16:00
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

Maria, Even when the Fitz was having elevator issues, the wait wasn't that long. I stayed last April when the country music people were in town on a Saturday night. I had read the reviews that complained about the elevator too. There weren't any problems. I think some people may just be in too much of a rush.

A agree that the Firefly is worth checking out. Good food and looks SO much better than what it was before!

Lulu, that El Co special has been around for quite a while now and is a really good deal.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

For the El Cortez martinis, if you are alone, they will give you the two at once, you cannot come back for your second one. That got me in a little bit of trouble last trip ;-)

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

Very little has changed. That's what makes Downtown so great!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

The Plaza had a restaurant, The Omelette House, which has already closed. Their Buffet, now "Stuff'd)" is only open from 4-10 pm, and is $12.99, take off $2 with a players card. They also have "Dueling Pianos" appearing I think, Thursday~Sunday.

I don't know if this was there last July or not, but Fitzgeralds now has a cafe on the second floor that is decent. They have breakfast special of $1.99, which includes either a stack of pancakes, OR 2 eggs, hash browns & toast. choice.

Firefly's also has a great Happy Hour, 5-7 pm weekdays, 4:30-6:30 pm Fri-Sat nights. Drinks are ALL 2-4-2, and they are not small drinks. Beers are $2 for American standards, and $2.50 for Fat Tire, Imports, and the like.

Firefly restaurant opens at 5 pm, and is not to be missed... AND you can order from the bar as well.

sheila

Midwest
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

The elevator problem at the Fitz has been eliminated. You might want to check out the G. Spike which has changed (an understatement)!

Midwest
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

The elevator problem at the Fitz has been eliminated. You might want to check out the G. Spike which has changed (an understatement)!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

I would like to visit the G. Spike. Is the walk there OK? Any free play for a new club member?

So the Fitz is Ok? I might like look into those reservations.

Any thing else I need to know?

10. Re: Downtown, what's new since July 2009??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 06:19