We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking through hotel or Expedia

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Booking through hotel or Expedia

I'm stuck on what to do, people always say it's best to book through the hotel rather than 3rd party sites such as Expedia.

But due to the dollar you never know whether is go up or down.

So I can book a hotel through it's site for $166.50, or through expedia for basically the £ = of £112 only a couple of pounds more than the exchange rate.

But if book through expedia I pay the £112 now.

Whereas if I book through the hotel, the credit card is just held. The Price is held in USD.

So 3 months from now when I check out of the hotel, I don't know what the $ will be at. Whether I will have lost or saved money.

Is it best to book in $ and pay later in 3 months, or pay in full in £ through expedia now?

Hope this makes sense. I know it's all kind of a gamble

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

Are you going to gamble to any serious level? If you book through Expedia or any third party you'll lose the possibility of getting any part of the cost of your room comped.

Other than that it's tough to offer advice. Not only can exchange rates change, the hotel's rates may come down between now and your trip. If you book direct you can call and get your reservation adjusted to the new lower rates.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 16:18
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

As Blagger said, you have more flexibility if you book direct. You lock in the rate so that if it goes up you keep the present rate, but if it goes down you call and get the lower rate.

Are you asking if you should engage in currency speculation with $166? So if it changes 10% (probably unlikely) you will have a profit/loss of $16? Great now you can buy that summer cottage, lol.

reefgeek83
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

I like booking through the hotel itself, rather than through a 3rd party booking site. Rates tend to be the same, and if theres a problem the hotels are easier to work with, ie you can actually get someone on the phone. But I've never had to deal with the conversion factor. My guess is it won't change too drastically, and it might be worth it if there is a problem.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

Depends on your personality and duration of your trip.

If you are going for 5 or more days booking now and paying up front could save you a bundle if the American Dollar makes some sort of come back. If you are staying for a shorter period then the difference will not be much anyway and you are better off booking with the hotel. Also if you book with the hotel you can keep checking the deals and enable yourself to swap bookings as better deals come out.

I have never gamble enough to get anything "comped" so for me it is all about the best deal. My upcoming trip is actually a 3 night expedia package due to the savings in flight costs from booking this way. But I researched and researched forever to find a better deal.

Notts
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

I normally book our hotel direct, it has always worked out cheaper. I booked Bills early this year for May, when the exchange rate was quite good. However, a few weeks ago I was checking the dollar rate against the pound and working how much hotel would be in sterling, giving me some idea what the end cost would be when the final bill came through in May, and the cost had risen quite a bit. If the $/£ rates fall even more over the next few weeks it will cost even more.

I checked out the dates on Expedia and the price was great, so decided to book with them. I cancelled my original booking with the hotel. Their cancellation policy is virtually same as the hotel's, so if the dollar rate gets better I could cancel and book direct. However, Im really pleased with the price, which includes taxes, so will probably stick with it.

Have noticed today that the dollar rate has gone up slightly. £1 will buy $1.48.

London
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

i book flight + hotel package always on expedia as separate bookings cost more

Boston
Level Contributor
24,419 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

Booking direct is usually in most cases the best way to go.

dallas tx
Level Contributor
376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

Direct, any problems can be handled by property

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

Hi

I usually always book through expedia and have never had any problems. I just booked 5 nights in Vegas for June and it was much cheaper than the other sites including the special deal the hotel was offering at the time. As you know the expedia price includes all taxes etc and I cant see the US dollar changing that much in the near future.

Regards Meg

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking through hotel or Expedia

everyone has different experiences. It sounds like you are very sensitive to currency rates and you may sleep better booking it now prepaid via expedia. Generally it's recommended booking direct through the hotel b/c you can change your reservations if a promo comes with a lower rate, or even switch to another hotel if you wanted to. Also, as others have stated, if you will be doing a fair amount of gambling, there is the outside possibility that you may qualfiy for some comps in the rate of your room, which is only possible if you will be paying for your hotel room at the end of your stay. Personally, I usually book direct. However, I have booked through orbitz and expedia before and have received excellent deals that couldn't be matched by the hotel's website and I was very satisfied. Just do whatever's gonna make you sleep better at night.