We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a US phonenumber

iceland
Level Contributor
325 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a US phonenumber

Me and my friend are thinking of either bringing an old mobile phone or buying a really cheap one in Vegas and get a pre paid US phone number. Where would you suggest we do that and which phone company has the cheapest pre pay minutes? We will only use this to call each other and we don't want to be using our Icelandic phones for that. If we bought a really cheap phone that maybe had some credits what would the estimated cost be?

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,630 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,114 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
York, England
Level Contributor
383 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Net10 or Virgin mobile are two good options, check out their websites. They normally do a standard phone with airtime for $20-$30. Walgreens on the strip sell one or both of the above or at least they did when we were last there.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Net10 offers a handset and 300 minutes of calls for $30. The 300 minutes are calculated as $30 credit with calls costing 10 cents per minute. International calls to landlines are 15 cents per minute (I think). US text messages are 5 cents. International text are not allowed.

We buy one each when we go to the US for the same reason as you. Three phones is $90 for six weeks. We have only ran out of credit once due to a lot of calls that trip. We just bought $10 extra credit.

One trip we found them on special at Publix supermarket for $19.95 each.

iceland
Level Contributor
325 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Wow these net10 phones+credits seems really cheap. Do you know how much international calls to other mobile phones costs?

SE Colorado
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

I went to walmart.com and searched for prepay phones. A lot showed up.

You should be able to find out the details on their website. I think Walgreens is closer so you may want to try their website also.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Check the website iwirelesshome.com, they sell phones at Smith's grocery all over Las Vegas.

London
Level Contributor
125 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Where are the best places on the strip to get the pre-paid phones - the shop and location? Have looked at the shops online but cant find their exact locations on vegas strip.

Thank you

Kent
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

bump

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Walgreens and CVS will have Net10, Tracfone and probably Virgin Mobile offerings. I would expect to pay at least $20 for a handset plus another $20 for additional minutes. These are all the types that you would take and activate yourself. There will probably be some options at the different malls on the strip but since I avoid them I can't be positive.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

Withou the whole 'stand and deliver' thing...................would these Walmart bought phones be a good option for phoning the uk from the Caribbean.

Cheers

Davy!!!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
10. Re: Getting a US phonenumber

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 07:15