We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Does anyone know of a Tour company that go’s to Death Valley on Monday’s in July. I’ve seen Bundu Bashers do a bus trip, but it’s $225 pp. ATV Action Tours do a trip as well but not on Mondays. If no tour companies can be found, what’s the opinion of doing the trip on your own by hiring a car, staying on sealed road of course, and drinking lots of water. Or do I have no idea how hot it can be. (125 degrees F) My partner thinks it's a crazy idea to do it by ourselves.

We have only one full day in Las Vegas, so Monday July 5th is the only option.

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Red Electric Bike Tours
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Death Valley in July? No.

Rome
Level Contributor
199 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

I think that the most logical way to visit Death Valley in July is rent a car, arrive there in late afternoon (something like 5-6 p.m. Still real hot, but a little bit better going on), see something, sleep in the Valley, wake up early to see sunrise, then touring around and going away at 10 a.m. or so.

Very hard to visit the Valley during the day. Any case, 225$ pp seems to me a real rip-off considering you can rent a car at 50$ or less. You don't need to travel on unpaved road to see the major attractions

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Forget the fact that it will be July (which is a huge, hot fact) - you say you only have ONE full day in Las Vegas? Stay there in air-conditioned comfort.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

If Death Valley is a no go area, the other option was to take a tour to Valley of Fire and/or Red Rock Canyon. Seems most companies will travel there. Just had heart set on Death Valley. I'm told that the scenery is just as interesting in Red Rock, etc...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Valley of Fire is a wonderful alternative (it doesn't have the scope and variety of Death Valley by any means, but it's easier and closer). You also should go there very early in the morning because of the July heat. I personally don't see the need to take a tour, it's very easy to get around by yourself in a rental car, but that's your decision to make.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
693 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Okay, I am one of the crazy ones who has been to Death Valley in the Summer. Is it doable? Yes but be sure to take lots of water and limit you walking. Don't forget sunscreen even if you are just getting out for a moment. If you are not use to heat then this can be a real problem for you.

I couldn't believe the people I saw actually doing very short walks without water. They didn't look like they could make it back. When i was carrying extra water i would give it to them but lets face it, you don't want to carry a heavy backpack in that heat.

I have to agree with the others that if you only have one day in the area, pick some place closer.

Also realize that in summer several of the services in Death Valley are closed being their slow time.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 15:22
Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

There is no way I would go to DV in July.

I have gone to VOF in July/August and even hiked on some of the trails. You have to be prepared- tons of water, sunglasses, a hat, suntan lotion and closed shoes (some parts are sandy).

If you have not been to Vegas many times- I would stay in Vegas for the day and not leave the strip.

I am not a fan of tours. You waste time picking up other passengers and then dropping them off after the tour. You are on their schedule and not your own. When they say you have to get on the bus- you have to get on that bus even if you want to stay longer/leave earlier. You see what they want you to see, not what you want to see. It is usually cheaper to rent a car rather than take a tour.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 16:51
Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

I’m not really keen on tours as well, but it is nice to sit back and let someone else do all the thinking at times. And as we have never been to the area, and it’s our first trip to the U.S. (it’s the second to last day in the country after 5 weeks travelling) it would be a safer alternative, but costly. The main reason I’m keen for a tour, is my partner has concerns about the dangers of the heat, which is not unreasonable. We planned (not very well it seems) our trips around the country to end in Las Vegas solely to go to Death Valley, but can only find one company that will do it, although at a considerable cost.

I rang the National Park office and spoke to a person there who said that it’s not uncommon to see hapless tourists in hire cars in the summer. Just depends if you trust your rental car not to break down, thus having to wait for a passing car to help as no cell phone coverage in the valley.

I should have titled my question, “Really keen to go to Death Valley. Who will take me in July”

Just to reiterate, does anyone know of a tour company (other than Bundu Bashers) that travels to Death Valley on Monday’s in July?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Where are you going to be just before coming to LV? Can you cut that place short a day and give yourself more time here?

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring Death Valley in July. Yes or NO

Not really. We are coming in on a Trafalgar tour from Zion / Bryce Canyon area, on a Sunday afternoon, so can't change times. Prior to this Trafalgar tour we are travelling by ourselves.