We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Wondering if it is worth doing a mule trip at grand canyon. Is this the one of the best ways to see the GC.

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
Canyons, Geologic Formations, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, State Parks
Hoover Dam Bypass
Bridges, Canyons, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gold Strike Canyon Hot Springs
Canyons, Hot Springs & Geysers, Hiking Trails
Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Absolutely, yes it's one of the best ways to see Grand Canyon National Park. You may want to spare two or three days at GC for this. Also, you can ask the Grand Canyon Forum here on TA for more info.

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Now it is just a matter of figuring out how to get there from our hotel when we come to vegas. It will be my first time in USA and don't think i am comfortable to drive on the opposite directions to what the aussies do. Hopefully i can get a shuttle or something similar. Thanks for the quick reply choco : )

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

I did a one day mule trip in 1985. It would still make my "top 5" list of greatest experiences of my lifetime. Go for it. They do book up many month ahead, so be sure to plan far in advance.

Getting to the GC by public transportation is not going to be easy. There are not many options. I think you can take a Greyhound bus to Williams and then take a scenic train ride to the Canyon.

As long as you are considering the adventure of a mule ride, why not add the drive on that adventure list. Make it a "double header."

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

For someone who has never driven a car in another country except Australia. We drive opposite side to United States, Would you think it would be too difficult to drive there if i have had no US driving experience?

Rome
Level Contributor
199 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

I just can say that, when I rented a car in Great Britain (opposite directions) I drove without particular problems after a little bit troubles at the beginning. And my beginning was in London, so sure not an easy thing to handle! streets are large, out of Vegas cars are not so much, give it a try

trntn, mi
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

IMHO you would do better to ask the mule question on the Grand Canyon forum.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

I think the mules opinion should be considered.

.....lol......

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Try to spend more than 1 day at the canyon, Yes go for the mule ride. As far as driving in the states no problem, when we were in the UK after going threw 1 round-about we mastered driving there.

One suggestion after picking up your vehicle try to find a none congested area to drive for awhile. I'm not sure how the driving is in Australia, But we had no problems in London. The drive to the Canyon is mostly Highway once you get pass the Dam, just watch the posted speed limits in Az. The Canyon is Fabulous.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

FJ, driving in the US is not scary at all...I learned to drive in Jakarta, Indonesia (opposite side of the road too), and now here in the US, it's no big deal. The drive from Vegas to GCNP is easy.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mule rides at GC. Worth it?

Even though this really does belong on the Grand Canyon Forum ,I must comment that as far as I know the mule rides are booked up very far in advance- sometimes several months- so depending on when you are coming you may find you are planning too late. You might want to look and see if there are slots open before you plan too much.