We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To those who have written a TR:

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Topic
To those who have written a TR:

Do you do it strictly from memory or take notes while your on vaca?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,549 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,006 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To those who have written a TR:

50/50?

Some do this, some do that? Stick to what you are best at, and keep it that way :-)

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To those who have written a TR:

Mine was from memory, assisted by my wife's memory, with a little nudge from the posts we'd made on facebook and twitter during the trip. There were enough opportunities to do so, from our phones, while waiting in lines and the like that really helped us keep the order straight.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To those who have written a TR:

Unless someone asks a specific question before I leave I do not take notes. I've actually measured suites, and written detailed descriptions, when it was requested, lol.

When I get home and start my TR I have all my hotel bills and receipts in chronological order. This gives me a timeline to jog my memory. I don't pay for practically anything in cash, charging most meals to my hotel bill, and charging the few others to a credit card.

I don't keep gambling figures, but gambling isn't a major expense for us. And I don't indulge in creative accounting. The only thing that matters is how much you had in your pocket when you left for the airport, and how much you had left when you got home.

It usually takes me about a week to write me reports, and when it is finished it is posted in it's entirety on this board and a couple of others.

Loveland Colorado
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To those who have written a TR:

We take notes- We (Dh and I) fried the better part of our memory banks out some years ago!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To those who have written a TR:

thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To those who have written a TR:

lol, me too!!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,030 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To those who have written a TR:

I just make mine up. I've never been to Vegas.

Alaska
Level Contributor
788 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To those who have written a TR:

Haha, Warmwinds! I tried taking notes once, but was having so much fun that I forgot to jot things down after a while. If I get around to writing a TR, it's usually a brief summary.

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To those who have written a TR:

WW, one of the best trip reports ever was the one that TA wrote as a group for a guy who was too embarrassed to actually write his. So there's something to that. :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To those who have written a TR:

I try to take lots of pictures with my phone, and since my TR's usually revolve around food, its pretty easy to go back and remember what I was doing and what I ate.