We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many of you specifically request your room location?

Ohio
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How many of you specifically request your room location?

I keep reading on here about people asking "what room should I ask for" - and am I weird because I never do? I have never tipped for a better room, although I have asked nicely if a room with a view is available. Or I have mentioned that we were there to get married - and normally end up with a decent room.

I usually stay at hotels that I trust anyway and it seems like too big of a hassle to remember all these things!! (what route to take from the airport, what room to ask for, what new drinks to try, what new machines to look for, what new food to sample) ....my brain can't handle it all!! LOL

However, if I did get a room that had moths breeding in it or someone else's garbage left behind, I would most definitely ask for a different room!!

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I just take whatever room they give me. I usually tell them that I don't care about the view, that I'll happily face the air conditioning unit, and I can be close to the elevator or far away - doesn't matter so long as it has a bed and a tub.

I never seem to get a crummy room though.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I don't ask for a specific room, but I will ask for a certain location. For instance at Wynn it is Golf Course View, Upper Floor, as far south as possible. I don't care if it's on the 37th floor or the 51st, but it is important that it be on the south side of the building, because of noise issues and my wife likes the view which includes part of the pool.

I am a light sleeper and most of my room requests are for that reason. And so they often include the phrase "as far down the hall as possible". Clerks like this because they get so many people requesting to be near the elevators. In Las Vegas we know most of the hotels, so I have some kind of an idea about what room to request.

My requests are always accompanied by a $20 tip given in the very beginning. It's not attached to a string or rubber band, or hidden in a sandwich. And the clerk knows it is hers and not subject to approval.

I also never ask for a "free" upgrade, if we want a suite we will reserve one, and I know that better views are not really upgrades. Because I am not greedy I always have my requests honoed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I always request a quiet room on an upper floor away from the elevator, ice machine and service areas. I am noise sensitive. I don't care about the view at all.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,334 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I don't care about the view, I just want a king bed. Don't really care where it's located or anything else.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I think Mirage may have been the only hotel where I added "could I have something on a higher floor?" at check-in. I had stayed before, and just wanted a different view. I was given something high up and liked it. Oh, and when I stayed at the Golden Gate on Fremont, I did ask for a room facing Fremont Street. I did want to see the light show from the room. unlike others who are afraid the noise will keep them awake.

The only time I have ever asked for a change in rooms was in San Francisco when my Union Square hotel had a Soap store on the ground level and they put me on the second floor. I wasn't taking the risk of a migraine.

Otherwise, I'm pretty easy-going and just take what I'm given.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I like quiet and non-smoking, anything else is just gravy.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I agree with the others who ask for rooms away from ice machines and elevators...I am a light sleeper and appreciate a room in a quiet location even if it's at the end of a hallway.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

I always get excited when I see pictures of other people's views and I think I want to get a view like that...but in all reality, in Vegas - I enjoy looking at the mountains as much as the strip...the view doesn't really matter much except for photo the ops!

I think I would feel weird asking for something for free or asking for something specific - it just makes a person seem difficult even though they may not be trying to be difficult.

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

Such a request is more dependent on the venue. Only the high end hotel check-ins will try and accomodate floor height, view side etc. The regular hotels will put you where they want depending on your check-in time. Either way a tip is in order if one gets what they request.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
647 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many of you specifically request your room location?

Only @ The Palazzo....always request 3rd floor...We can pick and choose any set of elevators we see open !