We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to travellers

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Warning to travellers

I just got back from a months holiday and spent 8 nights in Vegas. Unfortunately, as I was coming out of a show in a crowd, my handbag (which was slung over my shoulder) has been opened and my wallet stolen. By the time I noticed it they had spent about $3000 on my credit cards (my drivers licence was also in my wallet). Now I know this can happen anywhere in the world but I would just like to advise that is it best to keep your ID separate from your credit cards (something that never crossed my mind). Still had a great time though and will be back, Its just a hassle getting everything back.

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,618 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,109 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
402 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning to travellers

Sorry to hear what happen to you. Thanks for the warning cause I usually feel comfortable in Vegas that I don't worry about being pick pocket but with times being bad I guess the thieving is worst now.

Mentioned in this post
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning to travellers

Sorry to hear your bad news but good to hear that you still had a great time.

As the US doesn't use Chip & PIN this sort of thing is unfortunately going to happen to people every now and again so thanks for the warning.

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning to travellers

So sorry to hear that has happened. Thanks for the warning. I have prepaid for some show tickets and to claim them I will have to have my ID (driver's licence) and credit card with me. Otherwise I would leave them in the hotel safe. I did read somewhere that you have to have ID on you at all times in LV. However, its that just in case you may be (or look) underage - which I am neither. Thanks again for the timely warning.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning to travellers

Glad I could help guys. Have a great time there!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning to travellers

Sorry as well, and glad you could have a good time anyway, but having just come back from las vegas ourselves, why doesn't the US use chip/pin? We were surprised to have to sign for everything.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning to travellers

Sorry, this happened to you. Yes, we are still waiting for Chip & Pin to catch on in the US.

As someone who had her wallet stolen in the Madrid metro- I was glad I knew enough to make a copy of both sides of my credit cards, driver's license and passport and keep them in the safe whenever I travel. If, unfortunately, something does get stolen, it does make it easier to cancel the cards, etc. Luckily, my credit card had my picture on it and it was some kind of saint's day and a lot of shops were closed. Nothing was charged- but between the money and replacing the Coach wallet- that ended up to be one expensive Metro ride.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,638 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning to travellers

I usually tell people from the US to bring as little as possible to LV, keep your diamonds and your Rolex watch at home, your not going to impress anyone in LV where people are betting thousands of dollars, the only ones your going to impress are the thieves, take one credit card and a drivers license. No need to even take a wallet.

Credit scams have been happening in LV for a long time, I always tell people to use your credit card as little as possible and not at all unless you really have to.

I remember the days where people would use their credit card, the people taking the card were working with thieves turning the numbers over, with 24 hours the card was duplicated and used.

8. Re: Warning to travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 June 2010, 13:44
Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning to travellers

Thanks for the warning, Jules.

About a week ago, someone here was complaining because a store clerk asked for her ID when she made a credit card purchase.

Sadly, very few stores actually check ID. They let you swipe your card and walk away with the merchandise.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning to travellers

"Sadly, very few stores actually check ID. They let you swipe your card and walk away with the merchandise."

Very true. That's why if the US made some effort to join the rest of the world and introduced Chip & PIN a huge amount of credit card fraud could be eliminated. It's not going to stop sophisticated criminals with card cloning scams but to the opportunist thief hoping to go on a quick spree before the theft is reported, the card would simply be a useless piece of plastic.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 14:02