We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Thanks for everyone on this forum who replied to questions and gave me tips that helped make this holiday so wonderful. In return, here is my trip report- enjoy!

We are a couple in our 40s ( only just for DH) who visited at the end of a three week holiday travelling around California and the SW. Neither are huge gamblers, but love our real ale/craft beer.

Day 1

Wed 9th.

Arrived at the Bellagio just after 1pm. Having spent the last few days travelling around various Nationl Parks, we pulled up in our SUV, covered in a layer of red dust from Monument Valley with our huge bag of dirty washing. Started laughing when the bellman asked "Sir" if he could take his bag, containing all the rubbish that had accumulated in the car in the previous 3 week road trip. Felt like a scene from "The Clampetts do Las Vegas". However to be fair, no one batted an eyelid at our disheveled state.

No problem with an early check in and then up to our fountain view room to unpack. ( We decided to grab an hour's sleep before doing anything else as we have been up since before sunrise at Bryce Canyon).

Once suitably refreshed and showered, we headed out. Initially I found the crowds to be a bit overwhelming- probably because we had been in the wilderness for several days- and couldn't believe the crowds in our hotel ( I'm glad I didn't arrive over the weekend as it was even more crowded ).Went over to Pinks for a hotdog ( we couldn't finish ours and couldn't believe the amount of food some people were eating- this seemed to be a recurring theme). Then found the Sin City bar in the Miracle Mile, where we had a couple of beers, before a couple of margaritas in Margaritaville. By the time I was on my second mojito in the Fontana Bar at the Bellagio, I was starting to relax into it and Vegas was starting to make sense. Listened to Dian Diaz for a while ( very good) and then back to the room to watch a couple of fountain shows then sleep the sleep of the dead

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Love the start (except I HATE hotdogs) LOL

Continue :)

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Good start, i agree i am always shocked at the amount of food some people put away :+)

Cambridge
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Great start, keep meaning to vistit Pinks, last time I was there I could not find it, where a bouts is it? Is it hidden away or had I had a few too many cocktails to see what was right in front of me.

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Day 2

Thursday 10th.

Bought our day tickets for the Ace and Deuce and went to the Luxor for the Titanic exhibition. Fabulous. We are both divers, so interested in wrecks in general, and some of the stuff they have brought up is amazing. The exhibition is very well done- I found "the big piece" breathtaking and got quite emotional and again at the end when I found out that the passenger on my ticket had died, along with ther two children as they were going out to join her husband who have gone over on an earlier ship. DH's passenger was Japanese, of Shogun ancestry, who we decided in advance would have been too polite to go onto the lifeboats ahead of anyone- he survived though.

Once we had done that, we decided another frozen margarita was in order- I started to get a taste for them in Vegas ( don't tell any of our beer drinking friends though). Then walked up to the Lion habitat at the MGM- kind of cool to stand in the glass tunnel with a lion sleeping a couple of feet above your head.

Caught the bus back to mid-strip to go to Bills. Had heard good things on this forum about "Big Elvis"- they were right, he was excellent. Apparently he has lost half his bodyweight in the last couple of years- just wonder at what stage he'll give up the "Big"?

Caught the Ace from in front of Paris to take us to Fremont Street and went to the Triple 7 brewpub for a few beers and something to eat. Food very good and bonus was that we got beer at happy hour prices. Again, amazed at an elderly couple who systemaically worked their way through a mountain of food in front of each of them- it would have done us for about three meals, and we have big appetites!.

Decided to go to the Chicago Brewery bar in the 4 Queens. What followed was why I guess so many people love Vegas. We sat at the bar and ordered a beer each. DH put a couple of dollars in the video poker machine, so the barmaid announced his drink was free. I was watching the end of a baseball match on tv. We ordered another beer each and I started playing video poker as well. This was repeated another couple of times. I reckon we put no more than 15 dollars each in the video poker. We checked out with $80 between us and found we had been comped ALL the beers ( around $55 worth). So how does that work then?! Left a good tip for the barmaid and headed back onto the strip, still scratching our heads.

Tried the same at the Bellagio, but kind of as expected, had to pay.

By the time we headed back to our room, I was developing a nice line in shoulder charging people out of the way- I had got to the stage of being fed up trying to be polite in crowds after continually being bumped and barged.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Nice TR so far. You seem to be having a great time- in spite of the crowds. Vegas is the city of excesses- people eat, drink and heaven knows what else, much more than they would do at home-or even vacationing at some other city.

Some VP bars do have a minimum you have to play ($20 and/or maximum bet) in order for them to give you those free drinks. Not so when you are playing the machines on the floor.

Big Elvis has a long way to go before being able to drop the "Big" .

Next part, please.

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Day 3

Friday 11th

Due to the amount of alcohol consumed the night before, slept late and headed out to Hash House a Go Go for a late breakfast (being well aware that portion size control is not one of their strong points!) DH had a corned beef hash which I'm sure they just served up in the frying pan it had been cooked in and I had to clear my side of the table of bag/sunglasses etc to make way for the mammoth try/plate thing of chicken scramble stuff. Very tasy but how anyone could expect to eat even half is beyond me.

Headed up to the Venetian for a wander about- only in Vegas could a canal one floor up somehow work!. Very nice gelato. Then crossed the road to the Mirage. A quick stop for a beer before going through to the dolphin habitat & Secret Garden. Spent a good couple of hours there- the trainers were doing quite a lot of stuff with the dolphins, so we watched that for a while before going through to see the big cats. The male white lion is gorgeous- I'm sure he would be quite gentle if I asked to take him home ( or so I thought until he yawned and I got a good look at his impressive teeth!). People must have thought we were crazy, cause when he stood up and turned his back to everyone, we legged it in the opposite direction ( at San Diego Zoo a few days earlier we had learned that they can P for about 20 feet in a horizontal direction so we were taking no chances) The young white tigers were lovely- the trainer in their cage was happy to stand and answer loads of really stupid questions ( the best being "Where are the baby tigers"? answer " Here about 6 feet in front of you")

Headed back to the hotel to try to squeeze three weeks worth of purchases into the same two bags we had brought out with us ( which I only just managed by dumping half used toiletries). We were both tired by this stage and the Margaritaville cocktails were calling us by name (DH has decided he loves rum runners) so we went over there and grabbed a bit to eat while we were there. Played a bit more video poker in the Flamingo ( some comped drinks- I can see how this gambling lark could become addictive) then back for a last listen at the Fontana bar before heading to bed.

Bellagio breakfast buffet the next morning ( after saying hello to the (obvious) hooker who shared our elevator down) and another chance to marvel at people's appetities. Have to say I was impressed by the range and quality of the food available at the buffet.

Time to check out and taxi to the airport for our (delayed) flight home.

Thoughts.

Loved It, Loved It, Loved It- although it was initially a bit of a shock to the system. There is loads of stuff to do without gambling- I had planned to go to the gun store as I've always wanted to shoot a pistol, but there was a guy went on a shooting spree close to us at home while we were away, so I didn't feel it was appropriate at the time. Will definately be back, but I think 3 or 4 days at a time is probably prefect for a visit. Only scratched the surface- liked the different atmospheres in the different hotels. I loved the Bellagio, but would probably try somewhere else the next time for a change, although would try to stay in a similar mid-strip location. Ace/Deuce are great- for us on this trip was exactly what we needed to get around.

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Cambridge Vegas- we had to be shown where Pinks was. It's actually outside on the sidewalk, close to the South door of the Miracle Mile shops

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

"Hash House a Go Go for a late breakfast (being well aware that portion size control is not one of their strong points!)"

Many of us have posted how large the portions are at Hash House...you weren't paying attention to the forum comments. LOL

(just teasing you)...glad you had a fun trip :)

Cambridge
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

scubadiver5 - thanks for that info, am back there in July will have to get to Pinks this tome :)

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers TR: 9th-12th June

Enjoying your TR's, scuba. Are you posting TRs to the places you visit inbetween the big cities [Vegas, LA, SF, SD]???