We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Ticket $350!!!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Ticket $350!!!

We parked a rental car on the hash marks next to the handicapped stall at Tuscany Suites overnite due to no available parking. We had a room there with the dash ticket placed. We went out the next morning and had a traffic violation from the hotel AND one from the Clark County. The hotel said it was fine with their ticket and no charge but we had to go to the substation to rectify the county ticket. It was closed. Now can anyone tell me what could happen if we neglect paying as we are from BC Canada? Thanks in advance! This is ridiculous!

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

While I'm not going to say parking there was a good idea, I do sympathize. We went to a hotel in DC that we'd reserved that failed to mention there was a convention in town that night. Their garage was full, with people parked even on the sides of the up/down ramps, and there wasn't parking for several blocks. We ended up parking in a "no parking" zone and just checking on the car every few hours to see if anyone else parked around us had gotten towed yet. It was the best option we had, not being familiar with the area and not wanting to park literally a mile away.

Was the ticket for parking improperly, parking in a handicapped space, failure to display tags, etc? Depending on what they got you for, you might be able to argue your point that you had nowhere to park and aren't from the area.

In the future, your best bet would be, upon seeing this situation, going to the front desk and asking what you should do. They may have been able to give you a pass to park in another area, or had someone valet your car at another lot, etc.

San Fernando...
Level Contributor
913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

$350 isn't that outrageous for a handicapped parking violation. If you 'neglect' to pay it, the rental car company will continue to go after you for the $350 + what processing fee they add. If you were in the US, they would eventually turn it over to a collection agency, but I don't know what they to for Canadians. You can certainly call the car rental agency toll-free customer service line anonymously and ask, though.

I don't understand "We had a room there with the dash ticket placed."..what does that mean?

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

When you get a room at many hotels, they give you a card to put on your dashboard to show that you're a registered guest. I'm guessing that Tuscany does this, since they're not a major Strip resort that has tons of in-and-out traffic.

The type of ticket received will determine what you should do.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

Is your name on the ticket or just the vehicle information? If your name is not on the ticket.....don't pay it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

Hard to say what they do to Canadians as I imagine it varies from state to state.

But, I can tell you that my hubby got a ticket in Boston and he neglected to pay it. So they sent him a letter informing him that he is no longer allowed to drive in the state of Massachusets unless he pays the outstanding ticket & interest on it.

FYI- here is an article from the Calgary Sun that may be interesting to you . Right here in Calgary Canada they currently charge $150.00 for this type of infraction, and city officials here are actually talking about increasing that fine to $300-$500 for parking in a handicapped space, so I don' t know that $350 is really outragous either.

My advice is pay the ticket if you intend to go back to Nevada and drive, otherwise it may cause you alot of grief.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 23:54
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

Sorry here's the link calgarysun.com/news/…13801891.html

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

<<<< If your name is not on the ticket.....don't pay it.

LOL Quite possibly the worst advice I have read for some time.

The rental car company will get the bill for the ticket. I'm sure they will let you know when they get it. And, it wont be just $350 anymore.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 00:00
Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

The rental car company has your name....and your credit card number. I am not saying they will charge that amount to your credit card because I don't know that. But if I were the rental car company and had to pay the fine (and I am not sure they would have to do that)- that is exactly what I would do.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

Unless you signed off on that when you rented the car, they can't just arbitrarily charge your credit card for things without your approval. I don't use rental cars in Vegas so I don't know the rule there.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Ticket $350!!!

The dash ticket is just to prove that you are staying at the hotel. I am not going to pay it....the suv was not in the handicapped stall so they can eat it. We live in Canada so worse case scenario sounds like I can not rent from that rental company again or get caught driving in the state of Nevada. In Canada a hotel property is just that, not municipal property!