We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poker Recommendations...

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Poker Recommendations...

Hello, new to the forum - bit of background (as I know it's annoying when people ask a question and don't give the criteria needed for a helpful answer)

My boyfriend and I are quite the avid poker players, however the only experience we have is at home, with friends or playing in a league/tournaments at our local pub.

I'd say our knowledge of the game is intermediate - ish.

We come to Vegas on the 24th Aug and want to play poker, could anyone recommend where the best places are for our "level" (wouldn't say we are 'sharks' but definately not a 'fish' or a 'donkey' or any other animal comparison ;-) )and our budget is around $200 a night each for poker.

(P.S I have read allvegaspoker.com before and will use some of their recommendations but thought it would be nice to hear from the regulars ;-) and their opinions)

(P.P.S We have been to Vegas before, staying at the MGM Grand (where we will stay this time) so we aren't complete noobs)

Thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Poker Recommendations...

MGM have $1-$2 games which sould suit you grand, but in for $200 play your normal game and barring horrendous beats if your decent you should make it pay, the standard was pretty weak last time i played in the MGM room.

Luxor had a weak $1-$2 game too.

The Venetian has the nicest poker room in my opinion and its deffo worth going there to play. Ceasers too has a nice room.

If you are more into tourneys i've believe the Orleans run some decent tourneys but i've never played any so can't help. Be careful though a lot of the tourneys on the strip are shoot crapshoots and there is not much play in them, after a level or 2 its either push or fold.

Anyway Enjoy :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poker Recommendations...

$200 a night isnt much. Thats one buy in at a 1/2 nl table. That can be gone in one hand. You can play 2/4 limit, but personally only play this for the free drinks or to blow off steam after losing at 1/2nl. Some people play 2/4 for the high hand bonuses.

Or you could always try a tournament or 2.....Orleans has good structure for a $80 tourny. Most others become shove fests after a couple hours of play.

Speaking of MGM though thats probably my favorite place to play 1/2 though. Lots of bad players there most of the time. In reality though it really doesnt matter where you play 1/2 every place is pretty much the same at that low of a level....If you are coming for say 3 nights and playing 1/2 I'd bring probably $2k each so as to not play with "scared" money.

So yeah to summarize if you only have $200 a night you are stuck either playing 2/4 limit or a under $100 tourny. Neither of which is really that great of an option....

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poker Recommendations...

Aria has a $120 tourney at 7:00pm - 8000 chips and 30 minute blinds. This is one of the best structures out there for that amount.

4. Re: Poker Recommendations...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 14:24
Lugoff, SC
Level Contributor
436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poker Recommendations...

Your budget only allows one buy-in a night playing 1/2, you could always take your chances to see how long that last. If you like tournaments, your money will go further. Caesars has good structures, check those out.

You might want to look for some .50/$1 cash games at mgm.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poker Recommendations...

I like the Caesers 9 am tourney.

Great room and good service.

I think it is about $60 -70 .

Actually won that one for $1,000 which was very nice.

UK
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poker Recommendations...

Hi been to Vegas 5 times and always play tourneys at PH. I find the structure is good. 4500 starting stack, blinds 20m starting at 25/50. Nice friendly poker room.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poker Recommendations...

While I stick to blackjack and craps, my father is a pretty avid poker player and plays in a lot of the $500 tournaments at Wynn and Bellagio. His favorite poker room is at Wynn, but for years he mostly played at Mirage.

BURLINGTON ONT
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poker Recommendations...

Harrahs has a 65 afternoon tournement

my son 25 plays at flamingo with a 150 buyin for hours

He usually plays tight won 200 night lost 150in about 3 hours another and broke even the other 2

BURLINGTON ONT
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poker Recommendations...

Also lot of brits at the harrahs tourneys