We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Downtown Room

reefgeek83
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Downtown Room

I'm looking to get two rooms for one night 9/5-9/6 (yes I know Memorial day) pretty cheap. We will be driving through Vegas on our way to Cali/Disneyland. There will be 4 adults, and 4 kids (3, 3, 2, <1) so it would be nice if they had a decent pool to take the kids to. I'm looking into the Plaza and Fitzgerald. Our main point is trying to get something cheap, $30 a room if we can. I know that may not be possible, but I'm hoping you guys can help.

I don't know either of these hotels very well, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Any other hotels I should look into? I'm been using priceline and trying to get a room for $30, but hasn't worked so far. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even a suggestion on another hotel in the Las Vegas area.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

What??? I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nugget yet!!!!

But as great as some of the other Downtown hotels are, if a nice/decent pool is a requirement, then you pretty much have to go with the Nugget.

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

I'm sure that's because the Nugget is rarely $30 a night. We got a good deal on an off-weekend and it was $39 for the weeknights and $79 for the Friday/Saturday. Over that weekend, I bet they pump it to $100 a night or more.

I'd say look at the Gold Spike, though. I've seen some ridiculously good rates, and my understanding is that the pool is brand new.

Seattle
Level Contributor
356 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

Not quite $30, but I think you can get the GN at $59 a night with the "summer" promotion.

As the boys from cheapovegas like to point out, anybody can use the Plaza pool. I like the Golden Gate for nice clean cheap rooms, but the rooms are so small, I can't reccomed it for a family. Maybe the Las Vegas Club would work, the rooms there are decent sized, clean and basic.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
639 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

Just stayed at the Gold Spike - was going to suggest it before but backed off because it is off Fremont St. and some people with families might be nervous about the neighborhood. Personally I didn't think the area was that bad, but I'm a bit hardened about such things. Gold Spike itself is remodeled, new furniture, ect., and and has a pretty nice pool. I think it would be fine for a night. Pool is also open until 10:00. Snapped a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29059993@N08/4783596126/

Again, might not be perfect, but might meet your needs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

Downtown + nice pool usually = Golden Nugget.

Holiday weekend, even Sunday rather than Fri/Sat rarely = $30

I see $80 at Excalibur for your night (check www.smartervegas.com)

Any reason you're set on Downtown?

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,041 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

A quick look at expedia has the Gold Spike for $18 that night.

Seattle
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

I'm going to try the Golden Gate in Sept...booked it again on hotels.com for 20 dollars on a Friday...Also, they have the Spike at 18 dollars...plus, it seems the Fitz was right around 30 dollars..give it a shot...

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

I think we already had memorial day but labor day is in sept.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

Since you said you would take suggestions for Downtown AND elsewhere, check out Hooters. Close to Excalibur which has a game room and MGM which has Lions on Display.

I like Downtown and really like the Golden Gate, but I can't picture kids at the Golden Gate - plus no pool there. (not because of the usual kids in Vegas argument, btw.)

Anyway, Hooters does have cheap rooms at times and a pool.

PS- I think you mean Labor Day. ;)

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
727 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Downtown Room

For a couple of bucks more you could go to the Orleans which has a nice pool and its a good hotel for the price