We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another tipping question

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another tipping question

Me and my Mom disagree on tipping Bellmen. She thinks a dollar a bag is still acceptable when they bring the bags to the room. I say a standard $10 for a small load and 20 for a full load is the norm? How much does everyone tip the Bellmen for this service?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,565 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,032 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another tipping question

Gotta go with mom on this one. buck a bag is about right, more if service is great (putting bags on luggage rack, opening drapes, hanging garment bags)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another tipping question

If when we pull up to the hotel's porte cochere a bellman offers and helps with the bags we give him a five. When another bellman brings the bags to our room, they get another five. We typically only have two suitcases.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,611 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another tipping question

Bags up to the room only , minimum of at least $5 for a few to $10 for more than a few.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another tipping question

My thoughts are $2 a bag depending on what part of the leg it's on....

While for 4 or 5 night trips we have 4 bags, I typically give $5 to any bellmen holding the bags. Delivery to the room would be $10 for us.

While I will probably always do this, it's probably the only time I feel it's not right. If I exit a cab at my new hotel and they take the bags while I check in, I still think it should be $10 total to bring them to my room.....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another tipping question

I agree and tip them as you do...dollar a bag seems cheap....

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,711 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another tipping question

Maybe I am a little out of date, but for our 3 bags I still give $5.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another tipping question

$10 for a small load? Well, what's considered a "small" load or a "big" load??

For me, it depends. If they bring the bags to my room and dump them off, then I usually give them $2-$3, regardless of how many bags we have. If they take the time to point out a few things in the room, open the curtains, etc., ....then I'll give them a few bucks more.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another tipping question

Last trip we checked in early at Marriotts Grand Chateau before picking our bags up from our previous accommodation. We went back for our bags then pulled up back at MGC valet, explaining that we weren't staying, just dropping off our bags. The valet offered to take the bags up and put them in our room so we could enjoy the day. We tipped $10 and thanked him.

We then went to Whole Foods for supplies. When we got back to MGC it was the same valet. He joked about if we were staying or just dropping off. We explained that we just needed to unload groceries then we were heading out. He offered to take the groceries up to the suite and put the chiller items in the fridge. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. This got him a $20 tip and a comment card to management.

Everyone has their favourite hotel group, but I just can't go past Marriotts. Never really stayed in their cheaper properties but the service at their resorts and JW is the best. Even better than the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong, which is pretty special.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another tipping question

i dont care about the money

but something about having someone take my bag up to the room for me seems... lazy

i dunno

can i decline it and just take the bag up myself? :D

NYC
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another tipping question

We usually give a $5 for our 3 bags.