We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
watford
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

Thinking about booking a flight to LA with Virgin and then catching a flight into Vegas a few hours later. Has anyone done this before and would a 3 hour stopover give us time to clear customs and book in for an internal flight with another airline?

UK
Level Contributor
352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

Personally, I would consider booking your Virgin flight to San Francisco (if available) and then book Virgin America (great!) from SFO to Las Vegas

This would eliminate the necessity to go anywhere near LAX

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

3 hours should be enough time.

However I always try to book connecting flights with the same carrier whenever I can. That way you don't have to worry so much if the first flight is delayed and you miss your connection, as the carrier will get you on a later connection.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

I would call Virgin and ask them to book you straight through to Vegas (I don't think you can do it via the website if they already offer a direct flight to your final destination, which they do in this case). I believe they partner with US Airways though, so whether they will let you pick Delta or Southwest or anyone else I doubt. But you're much safer with both flights on the same ticket - that way, if you miss your connection, you will be given a seat on the next available flight to Vegas at no extra charge. If the two flights are on separate tickets, you have to buy yourself a new onward ticket if you miss your connection. 3 hours should meet the mimimum connection time for LAX comfortably, but I still wouldn't risk it. It is horrible sitting helpless on a long flight worrying that you are going to miss your connection.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

3 hours wouldn't really be enough time to clear customs and immigration and check-in for another flight.

If the flight from London is delayed and you miss your flight to Vegas you would be on your own and would have to buy a walk-up fare which can be quite expensive.

If you are going straight to Vegas, Virgin fly directly from Gatwick and that would elimate the need to change planes in the US.

If you get a domestic flight in the US you have to pay baggage fees for every bag

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,458 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

I would try to book with Southwest Airlines for three reason: they have great fares, they don't charge a baggage fee for the first two bags, and they have a ton of flights out of LAX to LAS.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

Were flying direct to LA spending some time there and driving to Vegas. Would have thought that would be a cheaper option than a DOM flight but i havent compared prices.

Good luck!

Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

I haven't come from the UK (but have done so from Australia) and I think 3 hours is fine as long as you move reasonably quickly from the flight to customs area (so many people want to use their phones, change their watches etc)

Infact I'll be getting off the plane @ LAX in about 27 hours from now and have just under 3 hours to get to the SouthWest terminal to check in for the flight to Vegas.

Current odds are $1.60 make the connection $2.45 miss the connection.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

I've booked direct flights with Virgin to LA in October, then im getting a southwest airlines plane to vegas, its cheaper than flying direct, and much nicer planes :)

England
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

I've flown into LAX with Virgin a number of times and then on to Vegas - 3 hours is more than enough (in fact a 2 hour stop-over is usually longer than you need).

Getting through immigration is not a huge problem - unlike the UK they have about 10 desks manned (instead of 1 or 2) and if you get a seat towards the front of the plane (so you get off reasonably promptly) you'll be through before your luggage is on the carousel.

You drop your luggage off again before you exit the customs hall - don't forget to put any duty free spirits in your case before you hand it over, as you won't be allowed through security for the internal flight to Vegas with any fluids over 100ml (as per airports in the UK).

I agree with the SouthWest recommendation - reasonably priced and they normally take-off and land on time.

watford
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas?

Thanks for your advice everyone. I am going on the Soutwest website in a minute and I will also give Virgin a call