We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

1-800-Hotels went bankrupt and was taken over by Expedia.

If you made your reservations for a hotel prior to I think it is February you are left holding the bag.

We had reservations at the Paris and called prior to arriving on several occasions and were told there would be no problem because our rooms were already paid for. Up to 3 days before we arrived we called and got the name of the individual who assured us there would be no problem. GUESS WHAT! When we checked in we were told that the reservations were cancelled. And of course the rates that we paid were no where near what they wanted to charge. The Paris was able to find us rooms for 2 nites at a cost close to what we paid but the next 2 nights we were on our own. Nothing like being kicked to the curb. So buyer beware!

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

Well, A) there wont be a 1-800 Hotels buyer anymore to beware and B) due diligence would require having Paris send you a confirmation to that effect IN WRITING the two times you contacted them before your trip. Oral contracts or confirmations are hotbeds of he said/she said.

You have to participate in your own salvation, brother....

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

If Expedia took it over, why isn't Expedia responsible for 1-800-HOTELS booking obligations? I'd be all over Expedia pretty hard and heavy to make good on this.

San Fernando...
Level Contributor
916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

I don't think Expedia took over 1-800-Hotels.com, Expedia owns Hotels.com which is a completely different entity.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

Ah, the blame game...

Blame antiquated Irish law regarding travel. Blame the Irish government for not making the entity post bond to operate its business.

Of course, blame the company, but they filed bankruptcy in part to stop cancellations by their suppliers - the very thing that happened to OP.

Blame Paris for reniging on its two "verbal promises" and canceling the reservation or not honoring the rate.

Blame the credit card company for not refunding the money. There is a credit floating out there somewhere.

And blame the OP for not contacting his credit card company immediately, getting Paris' assurances in writing and being more proactive.

Expedia is simply assisting the bankrupt company's clients and attempting to negotiate with the suppliers on behalf of the customers as is the ITAA (Irish Travel Agents Assoc.). They are the last ones anyone should blame...

Anyway, blame is for God and small children....

Edited: 23 August 2010, 01:48
Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

We made a reservation in Seattle the night after our cruise at one of the downtown hotels. We reserved 6 weeks ahead of time. The hotel never notified me that 1800Hotels had gone bankrupt. When I arrived at the hotel we were told the room was not ready and we could leave our luggage and come back later. When we came back we were told that they did have our reservation, but they had never been paid for it. It cost me an extra $218 to keep the room. I am in the process of disputing the charge on my credit card, since I did not receive the services I was promised.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

That's a horror story and a crying shame. I hope you and the OP get made whole as it has already disrupted your vacations. But it is a sign of the times and another reason to book directly instead of third parties....

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

I'm glad that you posted this. It's another reminder that it is usually best to book directly through the hotel.

The good news is that Vegas is filled with cheap hotel rooms. You might not be able to stay center strip ... but you should try Bill's and Bally's. You might need to stay downtown, but I'm sure that you'll find a hotel in your price range.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

Im in a similar dilemma, we booked the Encore for my 40th Birthday back in April but received a notice recently from 1800hotels stating that "Travelers who booked hotel rooms prior to July 14th should expect their reservation to be cancelled by one of our suppliers.Please check with your hotel to confirm. Reservations may be cancelled even after receiving confirmation. Travelers who find their reservations are cancelled may seek a refund by submitting this form to the bankruptcy court in Florida"

We have rang Encore twice (once when we heard about the bankruptcy and again after receiving this notice) and have been assured by Enorce bookings that the room has been paid in full by the third party and we have received a booking ref number.

After assuming everything was still OK until I read this review for the Encore

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g45963-d11…

We have booked with T.I. direct as a back (this can be cancelled upto 48hrs before) - do we take a chance and turn up at the Encore or should we just take the T.I. that is G/teed

Edited: 08 September 2010, 14:48
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

Even though you have already paid, hotels very very rarely get paid for the stay until after the stay has been carried out (Due to the large numbers of cancellations etc.) so the chance of the Wynn having your money already frankly is slim to none. Obviously they are not going to get it from the agent after your stay so I'd be looking at going elsewhere.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1-800-Hotels Reservation Debacle

if thats the case why did Encore booking say that the 3rd party has already paid ?