We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Hotels, restaurants and show reviewed:

Golden Gate

Prime Rib Loft

Simon brunch

Monte Carlo Spa Suite and Monaco Suite

Bellagio breakfast buffet

Delmonico

Monte Carol buffet

Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget buffet (x2)

Wynn buffet (x2)

Jabbawockeez show

Will post review in replies.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

The suspense is chilling me....

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Fri. 8/13

We arrived in Vegas after a 2+ hour delay on the tarmac in Chicago. Almost had to go back to the gate b/c of "passenger bill of rights." Said act did get us "water service" and a granola bar though . . . . ;) Easiest rental car experience ever, as usual, except for the car. It doesn't shift into 2nd gear until c. 40 mph.

Since it was almost midnight, we took the I-15 downtown. We usually just take the Strip. Huge accident back up. Perhaps we should have taken the Strip! I got off at Charlestown and meandered downtown. The valet at the Golden Gate was super nice as always.

We stayed one night at the GG last year as we had again arrived late on a Friday, and I couldn't see spending much money on a hotel. We decided to start our trip here again b/c we found the rooms quite serviceable, and everyone is just so nice. Last year I requested a room on a high floor, and we got one on the 4th with a window that opened, facing the Plaza. This year I made no such request, and we ended up on the second floor with a "view" of the interior "courtyard."

Remarkably, the room is also smaller. The rooms here are very small, but I really like them. They are very clean with a sleek, modern decor, a flat screen tv and a single cup coffee maker (only coffee maker of the four rooms we stayed in!). The bath rooms are small too and not renovated, but they're clean, and in some ways I prefer old school actual tile and ceramic. If you grew up in the 70s or before, they're the bathroom you grew up with. Again, everything in the rooms is super clean, no visible wear or dust. I mean all the surfaces just sparkle.

I had the big shrimp cocktail. Next time, I'm going back to the original. The original is sweeter. We went down to play a little and were disappointed. There were literally only 8 $.25 three reel type slots, and they were WoF progressives. I also had the annoying experience of running $20 through a machine, hitting virtually nothing, moving one slot over and having someone sit down and start killing it on my original machine. I'm well aware of random numbers and the "law of independent trials," but it's still annoying. DH reports you no longer get paid 1.5 on BJ when you get BJ, but just the amount of your original bet. I know there is a lingo here in terms of 3:2 and 6:5, but I don't really get it.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Know what you mean. I hate priming the machine for the next guy. Good detail on the rooms. Were they quiet?

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Surprisingly yes. When they assigned us to the 2d floor, I was concerned about noise, but there was none.

Ohio
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Anxious to find out about Jabbowockeez---- I thought is was a word you made up ! I have never heard of this show

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Sat 8/14

I wrote this up in a notebook during the trip, so some is going to read present tense, some won't. Hope none of my English teachers are reading . . . .. Back to the report: DH went just went downstairs for a sandwitch to tide us over until brunch at Aria. It's after 10, but we don't feel like a big brunch yet and want to make sure the "good stuff" is out when we get there.

Methinks the sandwitch has been delayed by the BJ table . . . . . so more observations. There's something to be said for the old school doors here too. It's nice to have solid wood, heavy doors on the room, bathroom and closet. Also there's a lot of water pressure here which is nice.

The sandwitches have arrived! Yes, plural. DH said it looked so good he didn't want to split it. $15 for two of them. They were quite tasty. Corned beef was hot, moist, tender and flavorful. Served on very fresh rye bread with yellow mustard. Not Carnegie Deli sized, but much more than you'd make at home. c. 1.5" thick. They also throw in a tasty crisp pickle. Guess it will be a late brunch now . . . .

So, we ended up going back to the rental center and exchanging our car. If you need to go this, and the car you are in is running, I'd suggest going straight to the rental center return area and telling them you want to exchange your car as opposed to calling, waiting forever on hold, and being told to go back to the rental center. They also offered to do a tow exchange, but that would have taken some time.

The actual exchange experience was super easy. Pulled in, explained to guy the issue, he gives us a slip, we pick out a new car, show the slip at exit, and we're then out of there in a Jeep Compass. It properly shifts gears, which is refreshing.

We'd wanted to try the M Resort buffet, and since we were back in that area, we headed out that way. Ended up playing at South Point. Both of us enjoyed it there, and it's rather expansive. I just say though that I could not get comfortable on their seats though. The main reason I wanted to stop was b/c I'd heard they'd recently "loosened" their slots. I did okay there; a lot of playing time, but no big wins. I like the Bloody Marys and the CW was always there when I needed a new one.

My favorite is a Bloody Caesar/Clamdigger, but I feel dumb ordering it outside of a "bar/bar" because I'm never sure they'll know what they are and/or will not have Clamato juice. For Bloody Marys, I my favorite mix is Mr. and Mrs. T's. There is one I hate, don't know the name, but it is thick and to me has a strong green pepper taste. The South Point one wasn't M/M T's, but there was no green pepper taste.

We next headed to the Studio B Buffet at the M Resort. The M is very attractive and still very new looking. Sleek modern decor, water feature in the lobby. We first went to get cards because I'd read there was a $5 discount per card on the buffet. There was a long, long line, but it was at least moving. We got the choice of $5 slot play or a T-shirt for signing up. We chose T-shirts. We made our way over to the buffet. It was a little after 5p, so I figured the line would be manageable. Not so. Hoards of people. It was a Saturday night and was "Hippiefest," so perhaps that explains it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

JabbaWockeeZ is a hip hop/modern dance type "crew" that one the first season of America's Best Dance Crew. They're all males, and they all wear white face masks. They were playing at the Hollywood Theater at the MGM Grand.

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Sat 8/14 con't:

We were hungry, so we left. I called the Prime Rib Loft at the Orleans and got a reservation for 5:45p. Best decision of the day. The Prime Rib Loft is on the second floor and is quite nice. Linen napkins and tableclothes, pleasant decor save for some plastic plants with little white lights that were too reminiscent of Xmas lights.

Service was lovely. Very pleasant and attentive, but not intrusive. The bread was warm and fresh, but not a type I was fond of (challah, perhaps?). The dinner salad was great. Granted it was just lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions with a wafer type cracker, but it was all so fresh. The lettuce was crisp, fresh and not at all watery. The cucumbers were equivalent of those I pick in my garden. It was also presented nicely in a clear, unusually shaped bowl.

We both had the prime rib. DH had 22oz for $23; I had the one just under that which I think was 14oz for $17. We ordered both rare and chose the roasted garlic mash over a baker. I vaguely remembered reading on there that the garlic mash was really garlicky but figured we both love garlic, so we'd like it.

The meals are delivered on carts here. A bit odd, but it reminds me of a prime rib spot in London where they brought the roast beef to the table for carving on silver carts they called "joints." As a teenager at the time, I found that name, and more specifically my parents discussing the "joints" infinately amusing.

Anyway as soon as I saw one, I wish I'd gotten the baker. The carts had sour cream, chives, bacon and other toppers you could request for it. As a prior reviewer stated, the garlic mash was in fact super, duper garlicky. We love garlic, put it in almost everything and usually double the quantity called four. The garlic in the mash though was just too much.

The prime rib was great though. It was much more mid-rare than rare, but we were both okay with that. It's served with horseradish and a sour cream based horseradish sauce which was really great. Again, the sour cream was very fresh, and it was a mild sauce. DH's portion was served bone in. We played just a bit there and headed back DT.

The valet pulls up with our car and cuts off a taxi nearly causing an accident right in front of us. He did not apologize. DH handed him $5 and instead of thanking him, the valet just asked for our ticket. I know $5 is not a whale's tip, but it is a decent one that merits a thank you, if not also a smile and query as to whether directions are needed, perhaps even a simple apology for ALMOST CRASHING THE CAR, but all we got was a request for the ticket. It's unfortunate because it was our first visit to the Orleans. We enjoyed the incredibly reasonably priced meal, and now our last memory is of the kid who said neither I'm sorry nor thank you. With so many choices available, this type of thing can tip the balance away from the Orleans. Perhaps we've become spoiled since the valets at the GG are just so nice all the time.

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

Sunday 8/15

We played at the Plaza last night. My favorite machine (quarter Double Bucks) was gone. I did find a Double Red, White and Blue that hit quite nicely, but nothing big. I'd forgotten how spicy they make their Bloody Marys, so it was Bailey's OTR after that. The first time I order a drink, I always ask for a water too so as to remain hydrated. Here, the CW said she can only bring one at a time. I thought that was odd since the other one was water. (This happened one time at the GN later, but no where else.) She brought the water right away on her next trip though and was great the rest of the night. One time she even had a Bailey's OTR for me on her tray before I even asked for it.

Initially, I was not doing well, so I went to the BJ table and told DH I wanted to go soon. Then I found a good machine, so I asked a security guard if he's stand by my machine for a moment so I could tell DH he no longer needed to hurry. He asked where he was and offerred to go tell him. Wasn't that nice!

Yesterday, I was reading this TR to DH. He asked what DH was. I say it's you. He says obviously, but what does it stand for, dumb husband? I said of course not, dear, not dumb. Speaking of DH, he went downstairs > an hour ago to get me a soda. I suspect the tables have caused a delay.

Today we check out of GG and into a spa suite at the Monte Carlo. Also, we have brunch reservations at Simon in about an hour, so I hope he hurries up. I'm really excited about Simon, but a bit concerned my expectations may be too high after reading all the positive reviews, including Law Girl's recent one where she noted it was perhaps her favorite meal in all of Vegas!

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 8/13-21 TR: Golden Gate/Nugget, Monte Carlo, Jabbawockeez

More Sunday 8/15

Simon did not disappoint. We arrived a bit early for our 12:15 reservation. No tables were ready, so we waited in the bar and paid $10 each for the Bloody Mary bar. It's neat. The bartender gives you a large glass. You can choose to add a salt or celery salt rim or not and from Absolut (plain, Peppar or Citron) or Skyy vodka. Unless you say differently, you'll get their Bloody Mary mix, which was a bit spicy for me. I chose Clamato for the 2d. There is every type of hot sauce known to man, celery, ginormous olives, Slim Jims, pickled green beans, giardenera, horseradish, pickled asparagus, limes, lemons, worcestershire and Heinz 57 sauces. They give you a red arm band, and you just ask the bartender or your server when you want another one.

The brunch itself is a buffet set up, and you can also order off the menu. I had some fresh berries, crispy rice sushi, some large peel and eat shrimp and a pecarino honeycomb panini served open face from the buffet. I also ordered the lobster havarti benedict and frosted flakes french toast. DH ordered chicken and waffles and the baby back ribs. All was delicious.

While we were eating from the buffet, KERRY SIMON brings a table in. My chin drops, I'm staring at him and excitedly telling DH, OMG, that's Kerry Simon, he's the owner, we've seen him on Iron Chef, etc. He must have noticed me doing this, so he then comes over to our table, shakes our hands and asked if we were getting enough to eat. How cool was that! I was definately star struck.

We played for a bit at the Palms. I didn't do well. DH came out +130. It was then back to the GG as DH left his cell phone in the room. We took Maryland back so we could stop at Von's and Target. Von's has really cheap liquor, btw, especially if you get their card.