We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley from Las Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Death Valley from Las Vegas

How feasible is it to stay overnite in Las Vegas and drive to Death Valley each day? We want to see as much as possible of DV and are using LV for cheap hotel/air fare. Our other option is to stay at Furnace Creek Ranch -- but will to look at other options.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

It's not impossible, but you'll be driving 3 to 4 hours each way, every day. If you absolutely cannot stay in the park then look at someplace like Pahrump. There may be other possibilities that someone else may suggest.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

You will want to stay overnight in the park to see the most stuff. Death Valley is almost the size of Connecticut - you could easily spend a week or more there and still not see it all.

My wife and I were there in January this year, and spent two nights in DVNP, and then two nights in Vegas. Even spending two nights in the park was not enough, so we are doing the same trip again in November. I would not try to do it as a day trip - you will miss a lot.

If you are interested in day trips, then you might try Red Rock Canyon to the west or Valley of Fire to the north - both are quite scenic and can easily be driven to and seen in a day. For Death Valley I would recommend at least an overnight stay however.

-JimG

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

Furnace Creek Ranch in a very nice place to spend the night while you are seeing Death Valley.

I would NOT use Vegas as a base. As RK suggested, Pahrump is a better base than Vegas.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

even Pahrump only knocks off an hour each way of driving time.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

Agree with the other posters. It's not a good idea to travel back and forth from Vegas to DV. We stayed in Beattie, NV which is supposedly near the park but even that was a chore to drive in and out of the park from. Definitely stay a night or two in the park. It's worth it. Then bookend your visit with stays in Vegas.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch during our January trip, and thought it was nice. Bear in mind that you are paying somewhat for convenience, but I think it is well worth the money for the savings in gas and drive time. Furnace Creek is a sort of hotel/resort with a heated pool and a golf course, as well as a couple of restaurants - probably not the same quality as a Vegas hotel, but "good enough", especially considering the location.

For our upcoming November trip, we are planning to stay at Stovepipe Wells Village, which is a little more "rustic", but is located closer to the sights we want to see.

For some good info on lodging and sightseeing in Death Valley, try the Death Valley National Park forum on TA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143021-i2027-Deat…

We got a lot of excellent suggestions from previous visitors for our two trips.

-JimG

7. Re: Death Valley from Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 08:17