We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

Apologies for not being directly Vegas-related, but just a quick reminder to my fellow UK travellers that from this Weds 8 Sept 2010 the US Dept of Homeland Security is introducing a $14 fee for ESTA authorisations.

It's currently free, and there's still time (just!) to get a new two-year application authorised before the fee is introduced.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

Nah you still have to fill out the stuff on the plane. Be wise and don't lock the address where you're going in your luggage like i did (full address not on the confirmation emails i was carrying in my hand luggage.)

Once it's done they can just tell from your passport. They don't even need a printout (which is good as i don't have a printer at home)

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

Only forms that need to be filled out on the plane is the blue/white customs declaration form and for those who travel with visa, the white I-94 form.

The green I-94W is no longer needed and has been discontinued since late June/early July

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

Right my husband finally did ours last night but still need to do my parents....we'll get that done later and then that's one less thing to worry about :)

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

the websites now down for "routine maintanence" :/

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

just a note on what Martin Lewis said on TV this morning.

there was supposed to be an agreement between UK and USA that citizens of each country could travel to each country without a fee to enter.

so if our friends from the USA want to visit the UK, fill in the form, admissions free!!!!

cheers Mr Obama, its nice to feel welcome. and nice to see our own goverment is still kissing your butt.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 16:37
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

Chris, it's not quite that straightforward. The taxes that are added to flights originating in the UK are amongst the highest in the world, so a US visitor gets hit that way. Because it's added to the price of the ticket it's just not as transparent as the ESTA charge. The same applies to other countries with similar taxes where a visa is issued free of charge.

But I'll accept it's a little unfortunate for you Brits as you have to pay the tax on the ticket and (going forward) pay for an ESTA as well if you want to visit the US.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

application approved - jurassic park

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

I am a Japanese citizen with landed resident's status in Canada, so whenever I travel to the US, I need to make sure to take care of the ESTA dealy.

So this topic was very helpful for me: thanks!

Now, a question regarding ESTA... if someone could help me with this, I would very much appreciate it. I will be travelling to the US in October of this year and then January of next year. Will I need to apply two separate times (which I believe was the case before) or can I apply once and use the one visa waiver both times (I seem to think I read somewhere that it is good for a year, but am unsure)?

TIA!

eta: I would check on the ESTA website, but I an having a heck of a time trying to get on it.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 21:31
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

starseeder, as I said in an earlier post, an ESTA is good for 2 years from date of issue or until the passport it applies to expires, whichever occurs sooner. You can enter the US as many times as you like with a valid ESTA. I believe that a single stay in the US is maximum 90 days if you're using the Visa Waiver Program. Any longer than that and you require a visa.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: UK travellers - ESTA fee applies from 8 Sept

I still can't through to that website......I need to get it done for my parents.......it does look like I'll paying for it now!!