We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for UK posters

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Question for UK posters

I've not been to the US for about 5 years but going to San Fran and Vegas in less than 4 weeks. The US used to be great for shopping as you'd get great deals on almost everything. Now with the exhange rate it seems less so but I was wondering what things do still work out cheaper? And what things do people always ask you to bring back for them?

england
Level Contributor
435 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for UK posters

Hi, I'm also doing San Francisco and Vegas in exactly 4 weeks today!!! Where are you staying in both places??

I haven't been to the US for a year or so and as the exchange rate isn't so good I'm expecting things not to be as cheap as they were. A few years back we went to Florida and it was 2 dollars to the pound which meant everything was half price!!! I went to Abercrombie, American Eagle, Croc Shop, Sephora and got some real bargains, a £50 hoodie in the UK was $50 so it was £25, great!!

No doubt I will still be doing some shopping!!

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for UK posters

We're staying at The Chancellor in San Francisco and The Bellagio in Las Vegas. It's for our 5th wedding anniversary so spending a bit more than we usually would on a holiday! We go to SF 1st on the 6th of October and are in Vegas from the 12th.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for UK posters

Hi

I went to SF earlier this year and did find some bargains in Macey's but it was close to memorial day which might have made a difference.

The best shopping bargains we always find are either in the larger department store in Las Vegas or at the outlets mall's, one near downtown and the other far end of the strip, past the Mandalay Bay. You need a car really but you can get buses or I belive there is a shuttle to both outlets from the strip.

Clive

england
Level Contributor
435 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for UK posters

We are staying at the Handlery Union Square in SF and the Venetian at Vegas!

This is our third trip there, we love it. We are in SF 9-12 Oct and Vegas 13-16 Oct. Might see you around!

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for UK posters

Abercrombie still works out a bit cheaper (plus unless you live near London you can't really get A&F here!), and Banana Republic is also still a bit cheaper. Nothing's as cheap as it was obviously with the exchange rate.

I think it's a good idea to have an idea how much particular items are here if youy know what you're going to buy, and compare when you're there. You can also check their US websites before you go.

When we went to Vegas in March we got some really good bargains in the Banana Republic outlet store, and also the Timberland outlet store. WIth their offers, it was loads cheaper than the UK.

But the days opf just buyiong stuff and knowing it will be cheaper, or being wowed by the difference are gone!

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for UK posters

lrmd - looks like we'll be there at a very similar time. Hope you have a lovely holiday as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for UK posters

I'm from the US but have lived in the UK for a few years now and go back and forth a lot. Here are some examples of current prices on women's footwear.

Uggs classic tall............£160 or $180. That £160 equates to $243 so you decide which is better. I used a conversion of £1 = $1.52.

Nine West shoes (just found this out yesterday). House of Fraser has the exclusive on them in the UK I've been told. House of Fraser price was £75, US price is $79 (of course that is before tax is added so am guessing that would mean they are around $85). That equates to paying $85 in the US or else $114 if purchased in the UK using the $1.52 conversion rate.

Shoes and handbags are cheaper in the US, clothing you need to know costs of items on both sides of the pond before deciding whether to buy in US or not. Check out big name labels online and do a comparison. Check out Abercombie, Gap etc on both UK and US websites.

doncaster, england
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for UK posters

My wife always buys jeans and trainers for the grandchildren mostly at the shopping mall downtown, she insists it saves loads, and vans trainers are less than half the price than the uk.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for UK posters

I bought a shed load of affliction stuff for approximately 3/4s of the price over in the UK so definitely better value.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for UK posters

If your in SF go to the A&F shop - it has a great sale dept in it and will be way cheaper than in UK - I got a heavy military jacket for £30 and Flip Flops for £6 but it was $2 to £1 back then.

I asked in the LV branch if they had a sale dept there and they just looked down thier noses at me.