We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May regret booking with American Airlines

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
May regret booking with American Airlines

Paid £420 each for our flight from Manchester to Las Vegas and coming back from San Francisco back to Manchester

Been checking the flight status on the AA55 flight and it's always seems to be delayed for some reason - this morning it's delayed 155mins! On flighstats.com the AA55 flight is scored 2.1 out of 5 for ontime rating!

I have to make it through Chicago immigration to catch our flight to Vegas

Cheap is not always the best I may learn the hard way!!

1. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 09:19
Edited: 13 September 2010, 09:19
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

Chicago is a main hub for American. If you don't make your connection it will have further non-stop flights to Vegas that day and will get you onto one of those.

What's done is done so no point in worrying about something that might happen. I fly American a lot on trans-Pacific routes and it's really no better or worse than any other major airline in terms of being on time. I guarantee you'll get replies from posters saying that their experiences with American on your route were fine and there were no punctuality issues whatsoever.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

What have I done to upset Trip Advisor??!!!

Thanks for the reply - yeah I've checked and theres 2 more flights on that day but they are much later to will arrive in vegas later :( - never mind

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

I've used the Virgin flights between Gatwick and Vegas numerous times and despite the expense (going via LA or SF with Virgin is cheaper, as are most of the US carriers) the flights both out and back are late almost all the time. Not usually by a huge amount, but an hour to 90 minutes late both ways is common. There's no point worrying about it - it happens to every airline and every route. And remember, it's not just the cheap seats at the back that are late. The people at the pointy end who paid $4000+ for their tickets will be just as late as you.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

How long do you have between flights @ Chicago? It also depends what time of day your flight gets into Chicago. At 1.30pm in April ours was the only flight arrival and there was no queue at immigration (although I was 3rd off the plane!). We were delayed leaving LHR and arrived late but I made my connection even though I had less than an hour to clear immigration, collect and recheck the bags, change terminal etc. That was with American.

Finally if there are quite a number of passengers all heading to the same connecting flight, they would let the other flight know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

American is no worse than any other airline. Most times the delays have nothing to do with the airlines or the aircraft, it's air traffic control that calls the shots.

You'll be as good on American as you would be with any other airline, I don't know why you are so worried. Delays happen with all of them! You got a good price on a good airline, so be happy about that. Most are paying way over £500 for air to Vegas right now.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

Try not to worry about it (I know its hard not to) you are going to Vegas you will get there on time, think positive.

If there is a delay there is nothing you can do about it.

Have a wonderful trip and good luck to you.

When are you going?

new marske
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

barring 2 days in the last couple of weeks this flight has generally taken off within 20mins of its scheduled time and in the last week barring wednesday, landed on time or within 20mins, sounds pretty good to me. we fly this flight on thursday and the only downside is a few less hours in vegas and of course the fact that i might have to pay for a couple of beers in chicago instead of blagging freebies (whilst losing on the tables lol) in vegas. roll on thursday !!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

I don't think it's the airline but the airport itself. There was a news report over the Labor Day Weekend telling which airports to avoid and ORD was on that list along with JFK, LGA also New Jersey, Boston, Miami, Philly, San Fran, Dallas and Atlanta as all those ranked at the bottom of the list of ontime departures. My husband's cousin was coming back from Las Vegas to Chicago, on Labor Day - AA flight -and his flight was delayed 4 hrs!

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May regret booking with American Airlines

Even if the London leg is delayed, you might be ok. I've only been delayed once on that route - I just made the connection (ran all the way and was last on the plane) - but my bags didn't!

So chances are you should make it, but your bag might not ;-)