We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
362 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Well, apparently it is frowned upon to write a topic for each day as I had done for the first two so here is the rest of our trip! I like to write detailed reports so ..

Day Three Sept. 27th

After last night's Purple Reign episode, we both slept in until 9 Am.

After doing lots and lots of walking, we decided to purchase the three day Duece/|Gold Line Pass. We planned for a cab to and from the airport. That was it. Besides, the heat was so intense and I recall someone saying that it was summer heat that hit on one day 110 degrees. I'm by no means a sun worshipper so I slapped on the highest sunblock I could find!

We took the Deuce along the strip and were enticed by O'Shea's 99 cent frozen Bailey's which packed a punch and oh so delighfully cheap!

Our plan was to get to Bill's Gambling Hall to catch the first show in the lounge. It was recommended we go 30 mins. early but 90 mins. early , it was packed. We managed to share a table with some folks from Great Britian. So, we chatted with the folks and proceeded to drink frozen Margaritas.. I believe there were five consumed and remember, also the Baileys. Folks, these are not full scale drinks. Merely litte sample sizes. Aloha from Las Vegas played on the back screens while Big Elvis' voice was dubbed. Big E arrived in a one piece jumpsuit and I was surprized at how good his voice was! He sang all the favourites and there must have been 500 people gathered around to hear the man with the big voice. He was very engaging, fun and very talented. Then, he asked for ladies from the aundience to come up and before I knew it, I was ready to be an Elvette! What a fun time! I am so glad I went and would have never known about it if it wasn't for the forum here.

Here is the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/user/1smartcooky

We wandered throughout the strip and decided to get back to the hotel to freshen up for our dinner at the Border Grill. We purchased our certificate from www.restaurant.com. We were seated out on the patio with our reservations which looked over the beach at Mandalay Bay and a breeze came through the patio. It was lovely. Homemade tortillas and chips were given to us before ordering. I chose the Grilled Skirt Steak and my partner chose Chicken Adobe Quesadilla.The service was great and the food was tasty. Our bill for two of us came to $28.65 (with the certificate for $25.00. which cost me $2.00) This included 2 glasses Peach Lemonaid which was refreshing on a scorcher of a day. We would go back.. Check out their website. They have been featured on the Food Network.

After dinner we took the tram from Mandalay to Excalibur and walked to Monte Carlo. Took the tram to Bellagio and then walked to the Mirage for the 9:30 show of Love. The theater is in the round so I believe there is not a bad seat. Our seats were $50 each and at the top of the theater. Without revealing too much, lets say there were many surprizes through the show that caught us off guard. I love the Beatles music and it was my first Cirque show so it was a delight. The music, the visuals.. it was stunning! I would recommend it.

The rest of the evening we wandered through the strip and watch the Bellagio Fountains, a variety of impersonators, dealtainers, etc. I have lots of photos as well. Here is the link..

www.facebook.com/album.php…

Day Four.. coming up!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Loved the video. You made a great Elvette.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Great report!

Great pics!

Great video!

Dont worry, I'll keep you right!

Thanks for posting, looking forward to the rest.

Cheers

Davy !!!

Romeoville, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Love the video of you with Elvis at Bills!!! i was there a few weeks ago, but missed the show, !!!

Great report, anticipating the end???

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
362 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Sept. 29 Trip Report Day Four

Checked out of Hooters at 9:00 Am and hopped in a cab to Monte Carlo. Fare was $12.00. Left bags at Monte Carlo for later check in and decided to go to Hash House a Go Go at the Imperial for breakfast since it was served until 11:00 AM. Wow, the food is HUGE. The Chicken and Waffes is monster like. I chose the Scramble and partner chose Pancake Tractor Breakfast. After using certificate from restaurant.com the bill for two of us came to $24.00. Cool place. Solid food. Great service.

Checked into Monte Carlo by 11:00 AM. Thrilled with room. Tasteful decor with great view of the roof! Maid service obviously takes pride in their work and we were greeted by "Welcome to the Monte Carlo. We are the best" Very sincere and pleasant! Loved the room, the atmosphere which was classy without being too snooty. There was so much to see at the hotel that two days just wasn't enough time to try the pool out, etc so we will return. There is a tram that runs from Monte Carlo - to City Center - to Bellagio. Very handy.

We took the Deuce to Fremont and got off at the Stratosphere to check the place out. Never having been there before it reminded me of Circus Circus. Nearby is the largest Souvenir Shop in Vegas and so it is. It is also located next to a large adult shop to if you are so inclined.

From there we got back on the bus and headed to Fremont to see what it was like during the day. Different vibe for sure and plenty of people! Played some slots at Mermaids and had a few cold beverages. No winnings but it was nice to hear quarters clink out of the machine like they used to. Wanted to check out Firefly but it was closed. Another reason to return to Vegas and make sure to take a trip there.

Apparently we went to BB King for 8:00 Blues Music the night before but so much happened that my memory isn't capturing things in correct order. Heh! Could have been the bevies or the heat. Not sure.. Anyways, the night before we headed to BB Kings at the Mirage for the 8:00 show and were seated up front. That night they charged $5/pp cover. Great band and vocals featuring music from Motown, Aretha, Tina Turner, etc. Got up and danced on the wooden floor. Very cool place. We tried the Fried Pickles which I loved and the partner didn't. We ordered the Shrimp Louie Salad and the Fried Chicken Salad. Nice to eat something healthy after some of the food we had eaten. The bill after the $25 coupon was $22.00

So, on Sept. 29th we DID go see Cher at Ceasas. Partner a big fan, me not so much but we both grew up watching Sonny and Cher show so it was cool to see some of her older stuff in video format. She did some of her songs as well as others songs which was cool because we've heard the others on the radio. Her song, Love Hurts was my highlight. Grand costumes meant costume changes and during that time there were great dancers performing Cirque type, ballet and hip hop moves. Fabulous show! Loved it! The great thing about Cher is that she knows she isn't the best singer or the best dancer but she does know how to work her assets and what does work. The girl worked it. Our seats were in the Mezzanine but a perfect view of the stage in the gorgeous theater. $50 a ticket each. I would suggest if you are thirsty, hydrate before hand because a small soda was $5.00. No cameras are allowed in an purses were subject to checks so allow yourself extra time. Mine was in there but they weren't that thorough. With everything happening and people around, don't even think of taking a picture to distract yourself from the show or others.

That night we got on the Duece and were packed tigher then sardines so got off to walk and have some space. I was chest to chest with random strangers. Literally!

We hadn't eaten since early morning so after the show we did more walking and decided to head back to the Monte Carlo. Opted for McD's and as I was eating a french fry I felt something not right. I broke my tooth. Yep, just like in the hangover but luckily it wasn't my front tooth. I had a sinking feeling of -- Oh crap. I'm in the US. This could suck. Coverage. Etc. No pain but I knew I had to make an appointment with my dentist ASAP. The next morning, I used the hotel internet which consisted of a joystick type keyboard trying to get my dentist's name. I see the dentist on Monday.

Day Five and into the home stretch! Thanks for reading. Hope it gives you some tips..

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,202 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Good video thanks for posting.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

cookie,

Love the report so far.

Great video and photos.

Stamps

Romeoville, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

wow, what rotten luck with the broken tooth!!! One way to definitely remember your Vegas trip.....

Great TR, looking for more.....

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
362 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Day Five. Our last night at the Monte Carlo.

That morning, I woke up to the most amazing sunrise. I touched the windows and the glass was scorching hot and the sun, a golden yellow. We spent some time watching the fountains at Bellagio and took some time to walk through the Venitian, Pallazo and back through the Mirage, Ceasars and took the tram to TI.

Our last meal was down at Fremont Street at the Fremont Hotel for their lunch buffet for $8.99 when you signed up for a Players Card. Clean, good selection all in the middle of a tropical theme at the Paradise Buffet. That did us for the day until we flew home that night.

There are two things that I would say bug me while I am in Vegas to be honest

--What's up with the perfume smell in Venetian and I smell lingering in some of the other hotels? It seems to vary from hotel to hotel.

--The dudes and dudettes with the cards. They sure are agressive. They will walk right in front of you to get to your partner and started handing them to me. Kind of like mosquitos. Annoying but not really that harmful. lol..

For those of you who have read some of my posts I purchased certificates from www.restaurant.com and didn't end up using the ones for Raffles or Noodle Stop, both at Mandalay Bay. Logistically it didn't work out and there wasn't enough time to weave back and forth to the other end of the strip when we were headed in the opposite direction. I was happy though with BB Kings, Hash House and Border Grill as choices we took the time to check out.

If you are looking for alternative eating choices, throughout the strip I saw more and more ABC stores and the like selling sandwiches, fruit and the like then I had seen previously and I would recommend stocking up on water. If you haven't, there are countless people yelling Ice Cold Water along the way!

While in Vegas, I soon found out that on average we ate one meal and one lighter meal (if we ate at all) simple because of the heat and activity level. The cold beverages certainly contributed to that as well!

Checkout was at 1100 but if you call ahead you can stay until 1 PM. If you would like a late checkout until 6 it would be another $30.00. We opted for the checkout and checked our bags at the Bell Desk.

It was hard to believe that our trip was over. My only regret was not making it to the Firefly or to Hoover Dam. etc. Its only another trip away! There were many details I didn't post simply because I couldn't remember detail for detail or I thought they wouldn't be of interest to the reader.

Our flight home was delayed 90 mins. so we got home at 230 that night.

Now that I am back at home, I managed to sleep most of the day, soak my blistered foot, moisturize my skin, a touch of insommnia at night, a case of the blues and make sure not to eat on the right side of my mouth where my tooth is broken. :)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my many questions and offer helpful tips. Hopefully my reports helped you and if you have any questions, ask away! Now, when will trip five be?!

Maspeth NY
Level Contributor
913 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

thanks for the report, too bad for the tooth.

wishing you another trip in the not too distant future and the Dam will always be there, next time.

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR Sept. 25 -October 1. Being an Elvette, Love, Cher + more!

Great trip report, loved the video! Hope your tooth was a painless fix.