We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
694 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

Oh Shipit she said! My passport is in my maiden name (not changing as too expensive and ESTA Waiver done on this document) and my Drivers Licence which is in my married name has expired (long story - medical condition - can't drive). Of course all my credit cards are in my married name which I have used to book accommodation, etc. Thought I'd be fine as my medical clearance will be through 2 weeks prior to travel, but have just found out that it will take 21 working days to get a new licence through.

Thus it has just dawned on me that I won't have valid Government Issued Photo ID to verify my cards! So my question is, has anyone else had an issue like this? Here in New Zealand I can present a COPY of my marriage certificate along with my passport and I am fine (which I do for internal travel). Would a copy of my marriage certificate work, would I need the original or should I just leave both at home and hope like heck no-one checks the expiry date on my licence (May 2010). I know to get a players card this would be detected but would a hotel clerk?

Am feeling rather despondent about the whole situation so please be gentle ... Jo

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

I'd call if I was you since rules have been tightened, but you're probably alright if you take your marriage license. Why does it take so long to get a new drivers license? Here you get it the same day you go to the office.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

I'm sure you're not the first person to have this issue.

Can you get a non-driving ID? Most US states issue official IDs for people who don't or can't drive, I would assume New Zealand would have some sort of official ID.

Other than that, how about an official copy of your marriage license?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

What is the name on your air tickets? The TSA here in the States is very strict on I.D. being both valid (date) and matching the name on the tickets. Nowadays you can't be "John" on one of then and "Johnny" on the other.

"Too expensive" would not be a valid excuse here - you get so many days after the event to change it.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

TSA officials and hotel clerks, etc., aren't gentle "let's hug it out" types, so no need wasting time sniffing that rose here.

You're a woman, so I'm surprised you didn't think of the obvious: have your husband pay for everything.

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
694 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

Cheers for input todate. New Zealand doesn't issue a Non-driving ID - that was my first port of call. Also tried to get my licence reissued but endorsed "not permitted to drive" or similar, but no show.

Driver's licence takes 21 days as, according to the LTSA (governing body here), that's how long their contract stipulates with their supplier. FYI you complete the paperwork, have your photo taken, sign on a "virtual screen", get a Temporary licence then and there (no photo) and wait patiently by your letterbox. It's not too many things that we are behind the eight ball on down this end of the world, but this certainly appears to be one of them!

Fine with air tickets - name matches passport - they don't care how I paid for them just that they match.

Nightdrive - love your response - husband IS paying - just not coming! Don't have any credit cards in my maiden name or I'd have used those (under duress of course!).

Looks like I'll be bringing my original marriage certificate and if a hotel clerk does notice, will whip it out (instead of offering a hug LOL!) Oh happy days ...

Northwest Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

Your renewal of drivers license is the same as it is here in the States. Typically, our temporary permit that is issued when we renew is stapled directly to our expired license. This gives a valid picture on a government issued ID and proof of our renewal. I would highly suggest that you bring your expired license with you. This should help avoid any issues when trying to use credit cards.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

I would think that they would not check the expiry of your license just to check in. They could though so the safest bet would be to put the reservations on your husbands credit card.

In the past before DH and I had credit cards we would use his Dad's card to book hotel rooms, no one ever had a problem with the name being different if you offered to pay cash and not charge the card.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

Here in Delaware when we go to the dmv to get our license renewed its all done in 1 day at the dmv while you wait. new pic new license your on your way. :)

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
859 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

A little note with your plane ticket...while it may be easy to get out of your country..it might be difficult to leave ours without things matching perfectly. My plane tickets said Mrs.Jane Stubborn-Doe and my Passport said Jane Stubborn Doe (no Mrs or Hyphen) they TSA agent gave me grief. I had to show my drivers license along with my passport to get out of the country and they weren't very observiant for getting back in. All over a hyphen.

Anyway you can contact one or two of your credit card companies and tell them you need to have a card issued with you maiden and married name on it? Like First name, Maiden Name, Married name? It would match your documents to an acceptable extent and cc companies can usually issue you a new card and have it in your hand within 7-10 day (at least here in the states they can..American Express will actually overnight them).

Edited: 04 October 2010, 10:25
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photo ID Doesn't Match Credit Cards

She is fine on her tickets...passport matches name on tickets...end of story!

The problem is when someone asks for ID with her credit card (ie. hotel check-in)...the marriage certificate is the best bet - annoying to carry around but the best bet.