We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip the shuttle drivers please

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ballyclare, United...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Tip the shuttle drivers please

Just returned from our second trip this year and once again noticed an awful lot of people neglecting to tip the drivers of the free shuttles between Rio/Ballys etc and the Gold coast/Orleans/Bills.

I'm quite sure it was no one on this forum but if you know aomeone who may use this service please advise them to tip $1

Thanks

mpo

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

Why?

The drivers are doing their job following a prescribed route. They are not hefting luggage. They are getting paid. Not everyone deserves tips. If they want tips they can drive a cab or be bellhops.

Do you know a driver? How are you quite sure it's no one on these forums. Are you a driver? How did you arrive at the amount of $1.00?

Again, why?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

I used the Bills to Gold Coast shuttle and found it kind of funny that the people who didn't tip were almost all very appreciative to the driver. Full of "thank you SO much" and "Thank you sir!" on their way off the bus as they walked past his little plastic bucket with the dollar bill in it.

I mean, it's polite to thank people, and the driver seemed very gracious about it, but c'mon people - you can't throw one lousy buck in for the guy for a trip that would have cost you $15 in a taxi?

Level Contributor
1,860 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

nightdrive - if your justification for not tipping is that the drivers are getting paid, well so is the bellman, person that calls the taxi, CW, etc. getting paid but people tip them.

mpo8000 - I have said the same thing. Have been to LV 3 times this year and noticed it every trip. Orleans/Gold Coast shuttle and the RIO/Ballys shuttle.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

i have to agree with tipping the driver...and a $1 to $2 for the 2 or 3 of us is exactly what we do. just like the rental car shuttle drivers who have to lift our bags, we always tip $1 to $2. i see so many people not tipping thinking that it is their job and they are getting paid for it. wouldn't it go a long way to tip $1 or $2 for good service ? as previous post has mentioned, we tip the bellman, the concierge, the waiter and the list goes on. what gets me is there are so many out there that don't blink an eye and spend $10 a drink but yet question and hesitate to tip $1. this is just my two cents worth so please do not get offended.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

This is an odd request.

Ballyclare, United...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

Nightdrive sooooooo many questions.

All of the drivers I came across were courteous, polite and informative, some even had a little comedy routine . In my opinion this is service, and therefore deserving of a $1 tip. Feel free to get a cab pay $10 plus tip if thats what you prefer.

Don't worry though just because I have asked you to tip doesn't mean you must.

mpo

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

Tips go to people who deliver a personal service. You don't tip bus drivers, airline captains, grocery store cashiers, the monorail station attendant - those doing their jobs. A plastic tub with a hand-written sign taped to it asking for a tip neither warrants nor justifies giving a tip.

Often those giving tips do so to pat themselves on the back in a private "I'm a good person' gesture rather than rewarding an actual service. In other words, you ONLY tip a dollar? Why not give him the entire $15 you would have spent on a cab? Where does it end? The expansion of the tip-them-because-they-breathe mentality is ridiculous.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

Well i personally tip shuttle bus drivers whether it be from the airport or from hotel to hotel. They are saving me energy it would take to walk and they are getting me from point a to point b. thats just me though. I do have a question though do ya tip the people at a take out chinese resteraunt though if ya just call in and pick up the order i am just curious Viva Las vegas :)

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

We didn't take any shuttles in Las Vegas this trip. But we do take the shuttle from off-airport parking to/from the terminal. I was really surprised at how many did not tip the driver who does help with their bag.

I can't tell anyone else what to do, and neither can the OP. And obviously anything we say is not going to change nightdrive's mind. But I was surprised. I'm more used to seeing it on the Las Vegas shuttles between hotels as there is no luggage involved and also no extra stops.

I've never taken a shuttle from MCCarron to any hotel. Is not tipping also a common problem on these shuttles? After all the only reason to take these shuttles is to save a few dollars.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tip the shuttle drivers please

We always tip shuttle drivers. We tip the shuttle drivers that take us from the airport back to our parking lot at home.

I too have seen many people not tip the shuttle driver when going to the orleans or rio. We do a dollar a person.