We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

Hi everyone,

myself, my hubby and my parents are going to Vegas for New Years Eve. My mother is in her 50's and my father turns 70 this year. This will be my mom's first time in Vegas and my father hasn't seen it since the 50's. They live in a small town but love to see the "big city".

What area of the strip do you recommend to stand to see as much of the fireworks as possible on New Year's Eve? I don't mind crowds. I personally love to feel like I'm in the thick of things.

My parents love to dance, specifically to Latin music. Can anyone recommend a place for them to go that wouldn't be too crazy for people their ages but would still have great dancing available. I'm not looking for ballroom dancing though or big band music. They only like to dance things like salsa and meringue, etc. This isn't necessarily for New Year's Eve, it could be the day or two before as well.

Thanks everyone!

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,627 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

Las Vegas strip on New Years Eve is extremely crowded. Remember that the street is closed, too. Personally I like to stay either in the middle of the strip or around New York, New York or thereabouts, so I can look down the strip. Really though, its going to depend on where you are staying prior to the cuontdown as it will be extremely hard to walk anywhere (i.e if you have dinner reservations in Ceasars you arent going to be moving much further away when it gets close to midnight).

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

I see....we're staying at the Tropicana but I'll make sure to arrange dinner somewhere close to where we want to be for the countdown.

Anyone have recommendations for dancing?

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

The fireworks that go off at midnight will be shot off from 5 hotels. The strip is closed to traffoc starting about 6pm then crowds of people start walking up/down. From the Trop, you should be able to see the fireworks. Clubs should be advertizing go to www.lasvegas.com and see what is happening. It is fun to be there for NYE, just crowded. Last year, I bought the t-shirt .

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

That would be a good idea since you are def pretty far away from most of the action. Besides, you will want to have a nice dinner somewhere, I assume, and places on the Strip (especially with views of the Strip, fill up fast.

As for Latin music, the only thing I can suggest is finding a club/lounge that has a "Latin night." Unfortunately, I cant recall a Latin club in Vegas. Now if you were here in south Florida... that would be easy. :)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
5. Re: Las Vegas @ New Years - a couple of questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:17