We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valet parking on the strip--secure?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Valet parking on the strip--secure?

First time visitors to LV we will stay on the strip after a 2 week road trip from California. We do not want to lug all our gear (hiking gear, multiple luggage pieces) into the hotel for just 2 nights.

We plan to valet park but have not chosen the hotel yet. When valet parking, are these valet spots offering secure parking so that luggage can be left fairly safely in the car (at our own risk, of course) vs self parking lots/garages?

Are there some hotel valet lots more 'secure" than others?

Any thoughts appreciated

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

I have left luggage in the car and valet parked a few times. I feel perfectly safe doing it. If you have anything especially valuable, you do have the option of bringing it in to the bell desk (or having it brought in) for them to hold while you are there.

I have not read of any one hotel where someone has lost anything while the car was in the care of Valet. I'm sure it can happen, but I would consider it safer than leaving the car in self-park because the Valet guys are coming in and going from that area all the time.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

If you're really worried then leave your stuff at the bell desk. No need to even have to touch any of it yourself, the bell guys will gladly unload and load up your car for you. Tip appropriately.

I've never personally had any security concerns when using valet at any Vegas hotel, but I've never left anything of any great value in my car.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,487 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

I'm not sure what kind of answer you expect. You are giving your car and your keys to a perfect stranger. Does it really matter if 1 out of every 100 cars experiences a theft, as opposed to 1 out of every thousand? Not if your car is the 1.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

I never had any problems with valet parking-or self parking , for that matter. I always have a car and I either valet/self park at least once a day- sometimes a couple of times a day. But there are never any guarantees in life.

As blagger and MG has posted- another option is to have them bring things to the bell desk or your room and then when you leave they will bring them out for you. Just tip and you will be fine.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 12:46
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

thanks , this is helpful information

ktinca, i was just wondering if the valet spots are monitored 24/7

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,487 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

Please don't take this the wrong way. Every day I read on this board of people taken advantage of by 3rd parties, or ending up with something they didn't want because they didn't understand or read the fine print. Yes, sometimes it is at least partly their fault, but there are also things in life that are beyond our control.

You know there is a risk here. Why would you put yourself in the position of possibly becoming a victim, when it can easily be avoided?

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

Look at it this way - If you leave it in the car, whether you park yourself or have a valet park it, the hotel is not responsible if your items are stolen. On the other hand, if you let the bellhop take your gear to the bell desk and have them store it for you, not only is it less likely to be stolen but the hotel is responsible for what happens to your belongings.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

There is no guarantee your stuff will be entirely safe. On the other hand, camping equipment isn't high on the list of stuff thieves are looking for. They want expensive, compact, easily fenced items -- GPS, phones, iPods and cash. Take that stuff with you and keep the passenger compartment as empty as possible. If you are at all concerned, take advantage of the Bell Desk to store the items you won't need during your visit.

During my last trip, I parked next to a car packed with stuff, including two expensive (Trek dual suspension) mountain bikes on a rack. Nothing happened to it over three days.

Valet may be safer than self-park, since many valet garages are separate and are less accessible to the public.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,902 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

I have never had my car broken into at valet parking or at self-parking at any Vegas resort. I would not leave my diamond bracelet lying on the seat, or even in the glove box, but I leave my hiking gear and my tools and equipment in the car all the time while valet parking.

Heck, I park in the self-park lot across the street from the Western (the Western does not have valet parking), and my car or truck has never been molested even there. (Well, I once collectred a couple of empty beer cans and a banana peel in the back of my pickup truck, but that is a danger inherent in driving a pickup trucks.)

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valet parking on the strip--secure?

AFAIK none of the valet spots are monitored 24/7.