We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car scam

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
warren, michigan
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
rental car scam

in vegas right now having a ball-the place is full of people-don't

believe the reports that the town is hurting-had a bad incident with

'payless' we we got in-booked a compact car for 4 nights from

their site for a total of $80 (great price)-I gave the fellow all of our

info plus insurance proof so I would not be bothered about getting

their insurance-when it came time to sign, the price was $97-

I asked why-he said that the $80 was just an estimate-I did not

back down like maybe some people would-I finally found out that

he tacked on an insurance of $17 in case the car would break

down-I told him I did not ask for it & I did not want it & the only

reason I booked with them was because of the posted $80

complete rate-I spent 5 minutes extra but got the rate I was

given-don't let companies get away with this-if it happened to

me, it happens all the time-

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car scam

The same thing happened to me with Payless. I showed her my AAA card but she said that it is Nevada law that I take the road side assistance insurance. I did't back down either and she finally took it off after we had a few words. This was a young dark haired female that I have actually encountered two dealings with. I no longer rent with Payless but with Alamo.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,854 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car scam

"Don't believe the reports that the town is hurting"

Are you kidding me? Las Vegas is in economic ruins worse than anywhere else in the US,But I'm sure you unscientific eyeball test is much more reliable than

the facts.

Negaunee, Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car scam

Whoa, Good Beer. That's a little harsh!

Ashwaubenon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car scam

Actually I think is person is nuts for not taking the insurance. As an agent I tell all of my customers it is advised to take it, for several reasons. Its expensive, but if something happens you will be glad you had it. jmho.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car scam

I never take the insurance- my credit card and my own insurance covers me- even for loss of service. Most articles I have ever read advise against it.

I did have "something" happen. It was no problem. Thrifty and American Express took care of the whole thing. I had to make out the paperwork, submit it to both places and that was it. I didn't have to pay a penny of my own money and there was absolutely no grief involved. It was fast, easy and painless. I was very happy with the results.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car scam

Why would you pay for something you already have? I pay full premium on my own car insurance and carry AAA just so i don't have to deal with this issue at the car rental. There is no reason to carry their overpriced insurance and stuff.

Ashwaubenon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car scam

The rental company can put the full value of the vehicle on your card, so interest expense, diminution of value and loss of use is ussually not covered by insurance, sometimes by cc.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car scam

"don't believe the reports that the town is hurting"

OK, I'll pretend Echelon is built, Fontainbleu is open, Binion's is renting rooms and I haven't been offered free nights at Bellagio Wynn and Venetian. i'll disregard the Federal reports about passenger counts at McCarron and the foreclosure rate in the valley. La-di-da-di-daaaaa... "Oh, just whistle a happy tune!"

Myopia. Ain't it grand?

Regina
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car scam

"The rental company can put the full value of the vehicle on your card, so interest expense, diminution of value and loss of use is ussually not covered by insurance, sometimes by cc."

That statement comes directly from the insurance salesforce. I have yet to see an insurance policy, that covers rentals, not cover loss of use. i used to be one of those "salesmen" and I do miss the 72% commision on every extra insurance sold.

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car scam

72%, now wonder the agents get upset!