We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

california
Level Contributor
166 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

My daughter turns 21 in the spring and our family is planning a trip to Las Vegas in June. From Sacramento, it looks like a 9 hour drive or $800 roundtrip airfare for 4. What are the other options? Bus?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,908 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

I wouldnt consider a bus but Im sure Greyhound would get you there, but why wouldnt you just drive rather than take Greyhound?

9 hours is about right Ive made that drive a few times you may be able to do it in just a little less than that.

Often times time is money and its only about a 90 minute flight vs a long drive. I guess you'll need to decide if the time involved in driving there and back is worth the few hundred you will save after gas, food, wear and tear on your car.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

I'm not sure you could drive it in 9 hours from Sacramento, and I certainly wouldn't want to try.

Southwest, which flies out of Sacramento, is going to have their 40th Anniversary next Spring. And you can pretty much count on them making a big deal out of it. So I would think in your case a little patience might pay off.

calleefoneeya
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

Have you checked flights from some other airport like Oakland or SFO? I'd assume that would be substantially cheaper. 9 hours is a long drive.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

SW should also have a sale at the end of the year.

I fly from San Jose, and scored some $39 each way tickets a couple of months ago....

I know Sac has non stop flights there....

California
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

Go to Southwest Airlines website and sign up for "Ding" specials. Set Sacramento, San Francisco, Oakland and even maybe San Jose as cities to pop up when specials come around. You can often get pretty cheap deals from Sac to LV. Just keep your eyes open. We drove from Northern California once.. and never again. It was the first time I went to Las Vegas and the drive there wasn't so bad, it was the drive home after days of walking, partying, staying up all night, that was horrible and vowed NEVER to drive again...

You'll be able to find some good prices if you keep looking and keep a flexible schedule.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
85 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

Soutwest recently had a sale of $49 each way plus tax. Keep your eyes open and definitely sign up for "ding"

You can fly out of Stockton on Jet Blue and Alaska and they run some great deals too.

You can definitely drive it in 9 hours, we've done it several times. That way you would have a car to go see other sights if you wished...think Hoover Dam or add a couple days and go see the Grand Canyon while you're at it :)

Fresno, Ca.
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

Just to add a bit to the thoughts of sch916.....Allegiant Air also heads out of Stockton. Take a look at the web site, the prices change daily and sometimes more. Just remember that "Vegas hours" are magic, don't waste them driving or worse yet on a bus!

8. Re: My Family wants to go to Las Vegas from Sacramento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 05:17