We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

Wyalusing...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

My fiance and I are going 12/7-14 and booked a pool view room. I'm wondering if this is a mistake because of the time of year.

Also, any tips on a first timer to the Mirage? (The Love show won't be on while we're there)

Has anyone received complimentary upgrades there? How did you go about getting them?

Thanks! We're so excited and can't wait to go!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

IMO the pool view is the best view at Mirage. Not only does it include the pool area, but it also gives you a view south down the Strip. The Strip view rooms there face north, but there are more hotels south of Mirage than to the north.

We have never tried for an upgrade as we usually stay in a Tower Suite there. But I have read that others have been upgraded to a Tower Room on checkin, but these are obviously limited.

Level Contributor
3,513 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

Is this your first time to Vegas or just the first time at the Mirage?

San Antonio, Tx
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

As KT said, ask for an upgrade to a Tower Deluxe room. I've had good luck getting it for no cost. The bathroom in the regular Deluxe rooms is tiny with a shower/tub combination and a single bowl sink. The Tower Deluxe rooms have a separate tub and shower and a double bowl sink. They are all located on floors 24 and 25 and there is a separate set of elevators that serve only those two floors. It would be worth a few dollars a night because of the really tiny bathroom, but I've had very good luck in gettng the upgrade just by asking.

OP, KS
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

I agree with most of what ktinca says. However, we also like the mountain view. if you get a room high enough, any view is great. We also typicaly stay in the Tower Suite. Many years ago we booked a Petite Suite(I believe they are called Mirage Suites now), and when we got to the the check in desk the clerk announced that she was going to upgrade us to a Tower Suite. We didn't ask for an upgrade or try to tip our way to a better room. They just gave it to us.

I read peoples experiences on this forum but I still don't get how the hotels decide who they bestow an upgrade on. I feel that it probably has to do more with coincidence that the 20 dollar tip strategy. But who knows.

Since Love is not playing during your stay, maybe Mystere will be next door at Treasure Island. It's a great show.

Have a great time.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

Check out Stack for Happy Hour and the Prixe Fix menu. B.B. King's has a good Happy Hour and entertainment. Decent burger and great milkshake at BLT Burger. Jet nightclub for the younger set or Revolution for everyone else.

Across the street, Harrah's has the better breakfast buffet. Also has a monorail station.

Free tram to TI for Gilley's and Mystere.

A short walk south and there is Caesar's Forum Shoppes.

A bit north (easy walk) is the Venetian/Palazzo complex.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

" My fiance and I are going 12/7-14 and booked a pool view room. I'm wondering if this is a mistake because of the time of year."

Not going to see much in Dec.

Try for an up-grade to a tower deluxe room

Pictures of the room plus others.

…photobucket.com/albums/vv323/TheDiceman7/…

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

I checked into the Mirage with my husband a few weeks ago on Sunday, Oct 31st, for 4 nights. I knew that getting an upgrade was pretty slim, as the hotel was sold out due to a large convention in town. We had a standard room booked.

So at check in, I just asked very nicely if there were any complimentary upgrades to the tower deluxe rooms and she said, sure I can give you that. It was that easy! Then she asked whether we wanted a Strip view or a pool view. We took the Strip view and got a very nice view of the volcano in front. I really liked the Mirage! And the advantage of the larger bathroom, and elevators direct to your floor, while not a deal breaker, was a nice added plus. We used the second sink as an ice cooler, keeping a big bag of ice with our drinks in it. Kept them cold enough for us.

The check in clerk made no mention of the resort fee, though and if I had not read it here on TA, I would not have known about the "free" bottles of water each room is entitled to everyday.

ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

When we were there last yr we had booked a regular room but I asked for an upgrade and was given the tower room. I did offer the $20 tip beforehand tho. The girl was lovely and tried to give it back as the room wasn't ready. We made her keep it tho esp as it was only 12.30 in the day! I put the 20 inbetween the credit card and ID and asked for complimentary upgrade. I was sooo nervous! Haha!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

I am two-for-two with the $20 trick at checkin for upgrade to Tower Deluxe, if that floats your boat to try. Some don't agree, but I have no qualms with it, and I would tip $20 for the upgrade anyways. You can also try asking nicely, I think it has a lot to do with it. I really enjoy the large bathroom, and little wait time for the elevator as it only goes to those two floors (24 and 25).

We had the south-facing pool view on the first stay at Mirage, it had a great view of the beautiful pool area (really pretty at night) and the view of the south strip. Really enjoyed this view!

Wyalusing...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mirage (1st time) in Dec--Pool View--Mistake?? Any tips?

It's our first time at the Mirage. We were in Vegas in 2007 and stayed at Bally's. We're wondering if anyone has any tips about the Mirage re: shows, maybe a place for a great steak, and then inexpensive places to eat, as well as anything else available for us to do there that may not be general knowledge.

Thanks!