We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,674 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

I stole this post from another LV board beause it is worth sharing.

BTW: My reply was: The list gained instant credibility with the inclusion of Ping Pang Pong.

Eating Las Vegas: 50 Essential Restaurants is the title of a new book published by Huntington Press (LVA) and written by restaurant critics John Curtas, Max Jacobson and Al Mancini.

Top 10

Alex at the Wynn, Chef Alexander Stratta

Bar Masa at Aria, Chef Masa Takayama

Bartolotta at the Wynn Chef Paul Bartolotta

CUT at the Palazzo, Chefs Wolfgang Puck and Matt Hurley

Joel Robuchon at MGM Grand, Chef Joel Robuchon

L’Atelier at MGM Grand, Chef Joel Robuchon

Picasso at Bellagio, Chef Julian Serrano

Restaurant Guy Savoy at Caesars Palace, Chef Guy Savoy

RM Upstairs at Mandalay Bay, Chef Rick Moonen

Twist at Mandarin Oriental, Chef Pierre Gagnaire

Here is the entire list including the above:

American Fish at Aria, Chef Michael Mina

Aureole at Mandalay Bay, Chef Charlie Palmer

B&B Ristorante at The Venetian, Chef Mario Batali

Beijing Noodle #9 at Caesars Palace, Chef Yu Li

Border Grill at Mandalay Bay, Chefs Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken

Bouchon at The Venetian, Chef Thomas Keller

Burger Bar at Mandalay Place, Chef Hubert Keller

Carnevino at Palazzo, Chef Mario Batali

China Mama, Chinatown, no chef named

Eiffel Tower at Paris, Chef Joung Sohn

Julian Serrano at Aria, Chef Julian Serrano

Le Cirque at Bellagio, owner Sirio Maccioni

Los Antojos, Chef Carmen Ruiz

Lotus of Siam, Chef Saipin Chutima

M&M Soulfood Cafe, no chef named

Marche Bacchus, Desert Shores Chef Jean Paul Labadie

Monta, a Japanese Noodle House, no chef named

Mozen Bistro at Mandarin Oriental, Chef Shawn Armstrong

Nove Italiano at Palms, Chef Geno Bernardo

Osteria del Circo at Bellagio, owner Sirio Maccioni

Payard Patisserie Bistro at Caesars Palace, Chef Francois Payard

Ping Pang Pong at Gold Coast, Chef owner Karrie Wu

Prime Steakhouse at Bellagio, Chef Jeans Georges Vongerichten

Raku, Chinatown, Chef Mitsuo Endo

Rao’s at Caesars Palace, owner Frank Pellegrino

Rosemary’s, Chef owners Michael and Wendy Jordan

Sage at Aria, Chef Shawn McClain

Sen of Japan, Chef Hiro Nakano

Sensi at Bellagio, Chef Martin Heierling

Settebello, Green Valley, Chef Brad Otton

Simon at Palms Place, Chef Kerry Simon

Society Cafe at Encore, Chef Kim Canteenwalla

Spago at Caesars Palace, Chefs Wolfgang Puck and Eric Klein

The Steakhouse at Circus Circus, no chef named

Todd’s Unique Dining, Henderson, Chef Todd Clore

Tom Colicchio’s Craftsteak at MGM Grand, Chef Tom Colicchio

Top of the World at Stratosphere, Chef Claude Gaty

Valentino at The Venetian, Chef owners Pierro Selvaggio and Luciano Pellegrini

Vintner Grill, Summerlin, Chef Matthew Silverman

Yellowtail at Bellagio, Chef Akira Back.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All American Helicopter...
6,717 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$494.95
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,102 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Deluxe Grand Canyon All American...
511 reviews
from US$426.99*
US$527.50
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Grand Canyon Skywalk...
403 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,674 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

The one notable ommission here is that neither Andres or Alize is on the list. This is a little unexpected as for many years he was one of the most respected chefs in Las Vegas.

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

Wow what a list! Id love to eat at Picasso...to dine surrounded by fine art sounds like a feast for my eyes and tummy! I am suprised that the firefly didn't make the cut. I have only been to a few on that list ...hee hee I must try harder! ;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

Ktinca, I've been reading more and more negative reviews of Alize, and since it was our first choice for our anniversary dinner in Feb I'm having second thoughts. Sounds like they have not evolved enough to suit many diners, and still provide the "old" experience, which can be good or bad.

But can I ask about PPP? I admit I'm a pretty pedestrian Asian food eater, so the term "authentic" scares me. We wanted an "authentic" dim sum experience in SF once, and ended up being the only non-Asians in a room eating chicken FEET (yet, the cartilagey claws or whatever they are). So can someone tell me how "authentic" PPP is, and what exactly that means since when I look at their menu I see a lot of things I "know".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

No Mix? Was just there this past Tuesday and thought overall it was very good.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,674 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

WW: I know exactly how you feel. Growing up in SF I remember being in Chinatown restaurants where no one spoke English and I couldn't even order if I wasn't with friends. But where else could you have a great lunch for less than $4?

No it's not that authentic, but it isn't Americanized chop suey either. You know I don't think I've ever had chop suey, lol. The tables even have silverware. And the servers do speak at least some English and can explain things.

The great thing about Dim Sum is that you don't have to really know what you are ordering. They bring everything around in carts and all you have to say is Yes or No, or just point and say Please. And portions are small, so if you don't like something you just set it aside.

I strongly recommend that you give Ping Pang Pong a try for lunch. And be a little adventurous. Actually because we like to try almost everything, it isn't really that cheap. We've actually spent almost $40 there a couple of times. But it is worth it.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

Yes, I wanted to give PPP a try for lunch. When we were at the dim sum the servers spoke almost no English, but they finally said a word we understood - chicken! So that's how we ended up with the feet, LOL. It made a great memory if not an awful lunch!

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

"essential"? yawn....

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

I am also a fan of PPP. I have never eaten dim sum there, but I have eaten some dinners- especially when it is super late and I don't want to drive far (they are open until 3AM). Many times I have been the only (or one of a few) non-Asians in the place.

I do think they are authentic, but they also are aware of the fact that they will be dealing with tourists and they just eliminated some items that would seem far out to Americans. My friend in Ghangzhou, for example, eats...puppies (she wont' cook them, but she does eat them in restaurants). If you want to be a little more daring/authentic you go to Chinatown Plaza, Joyful House, Ay Chung Cafe - or just about anyplace on Spring Mountain. The Chinese believe in using every part of an animal- thus the chicken feet, pig's ears, innards etc.

When it comes to restaurants- I really don't care what the food critics (or other people) say about a restaurant. If something sounds interesting to me, I try it and if I like it I will keep going back. It doesn't have to be the new "in" place, have a celebrity chef, be fashionable or anything else. If I am only one in a hundred who likes some restaurant - that is fine with me. I refuse to take a poll (experts or forum) to allow others to decide where I should or should not eat. It is not as if making a mistake will ruin my whole life or even my vacation. It is not a life or death matter -it is only a meal. Push the envelope a bit and try something new. You may find a new, favorite restaurant-or not! ;-)

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

I read Eating Las Vegas because I love the photos that are included but I have to admit that I don't always trust his opinions.....I admit that I can be a bit a bit of a food snob at times but man John Curtas is the snobbiest of all snobs, once he considers something "out of style" in the food world he won't eat it. He turns his nose up at Tiramisu.....is horrified by the use of tuna in appetizers.....but it is entertaining so I read anyways.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating Las Vegas 50 Essential Restaurants

No Okada? No thanks!

Well, maybe I'll let them slide since they did include Bar Masa in the top 10 . . .