We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report writing guide.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report writing guide.

Hi,

This forum seems to engender more people to write trip reports than any other that I have seen on T/A so I thought that this would be a good place to ask people;

what makes a good trip report?

which type of trip reports hold your interest the most?

do you have any pet peeves about trip reports?

is there anything that stops you from writing trip reports?

Thanks,

Matt

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
517 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

I like all the little details to relive the trip.

NZ
Level Contributor
687 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

Personally I love all trip reports, short or long, just the hard facts or choc full of opinion. I especially enjoy the room and food descriptions. I stil struggle through but do get slightly turned off by really bad English and trip reports that say they are coming and then leave us hanging for ever..........

Alaska
Level Contributor
788 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

I think all trip reports are good, as each provides some level of entertainment, information, and opinions. As I do like a long, detailed report, I have trouble keeping up with the ones that take many many days to complete. Most of the time I wait until the weekend to finish the longer ones. I've only posted a couple of them. Most of the time, someone else that writes a more narrative, exciting report will scare me off from writing mine.

I leave this weekend for a week, and maybe I'll write one when I get back.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

"I have trouble keeping up with the ones that take many many days to complete."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with that statement. Some people seem to stretch a 3 day trip report out over a week and a half.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k3455…

I prefer a report that appears in full as a series of replies rather than spread out in "installments" but I appreciate anybody who takes the time to post a report whatever its format.

And apologies for my TR from October still not appearing. It will be here soon!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

I've learned so much from TR's and I agree it's the little details that I find really helpful.

So if you think something may be too minute or inconsequential to write about---throw it in there anyway as it may be a helpful tidbit of info for someone reading it!

My pet peeve's are just 2....when the initial post is the actual long report that stays on every page forcing a long scrolling on forthcoming pages....posting as a reply is so appreciated!

And I believe i've mentioned before, using the word 'amazing' every other sentence grates after a while....being more colorful and imaginative with adjective is also appreciated! (it's the English major in me---I can't help it lol)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

I like the minute details as well, as long as it is to do with the trip itself.

I don't feel like I gain a lot from hearing about what time someone had to wake up in order to get their cat to their Aunt's place and then drive 4 hours and where they stopped on the drive to get fuel and how expensive the chips and coke were at the petrol station etc etc. All in some part of the world that I have no desire to visit. I understand if something monumental happens during the flight to Vegas then there is some point to including those details at the beginning but apart from that touch down at McCarron is where my interest starts.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

When we start listing our pet peeves eventually every type of trip report gets included. There's no way to please everyone so I think it's best to type a trip report that is enjoyable for you as the writer to write (whatever that may be.) If you like writing it you will be more likely to finish it and post it out there and to complete future reports.

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

I like to hear about the gambling, what slots were hot, which ones weren't. Not so much about the dust bunnies that were under the bed. I agree that when a report is stretched out over a week it's hard to keep up. When you do click on the "watch" this report it comes up so many times in your e-mail, and it may just be another person commenting on it, not the actual report.

Romeoville, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report writing guide.

First, I love to read Trip Reports, any size, any kind, ....

But there are a few things I would prefer,

#1, paragraphs, it gets hard to keep track when there is a whole page of wonderful information, but no paragraphs to keep my old eyes focused....

#2. prefer to see most of the report written as replies, as another poster states, " when the initial post is the actual long report that stays on every page forcing a long scrolling on forthcoming pages:"

Other than those 2 comments I would say keep them coming. I love reading them, and get so much info from everyone.....