We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

I have been searching for decent airfare out of Jax in Feb for about a month now and the best I can come up with is about $438/pp (non-stop). While this may sound reasonable to some, in the past I have booked for as little as $189 and as much as $249. I'm even willing to travel to to another airport an hour away (Orlando) but no joy on great rates. Any suggestions or ideas?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Probably won't see any deals until after the holidays are over.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Perhaps peak oil is upon us

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Cheap airfares are nearly impossible to find. The airlines have cut back on the number of flights. Every flight I've been on lately has been 100% full. When they're running that close to capacity, which is exactly what they're trying to do, they just don't need to discount fares to fill the seats.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

What are your exact dates? I just randomly put in Feb 4-11 and saw almost every airline had under 200 before taxes.

West Hazleton...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Wait till after the holidays. Few people book travel in January because they're shocked at how much they spent in November, so you should see some fares come down then. BTW, I did notice that Virgin still occasionally has great deals, but I don't know if they fly anywhere near Jacksonville...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Yesterday WestJet had airfare deals from all across canada to vegas. From Calgary it was 89$ (I think) one way. Their new deal is called 'blue tag thursdays' or something. That was most likely a one time thing though.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Try looking Mondays or Tuesday. Some specials are posted then.

Since I wanted to make sure to get a seat on a non-stop flight, I booked today. Today, prices are a little higher but it was worth not to have to change planes.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

Shop on Mondays and Tuesdays like another poster suggested and prepare to spend $50 more pp than you have in the past. Figure that anything at 300 or less is a 'good' deal. We booked in Sept. for April and the flight cost made me keel over. I just couldn't find anything cheaper. Airfare is OUTRAGEOUS these days. We paid 316ish pp and that's the best I've found since Sept.

Bluffton, SC
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

As other posters have stated, wait until after the holidays. I remember "back in the days" too when flights could be had for under $200 (including taxes). My wife and I live in South Carolina and we booked our flights out of Jax for our trip to Vegas next month. With taxes our tickets came out to $619 which is $309.50 each. So that's about $50-75 more pp then what we used to pay but it's not that bad considering it's VEGAS!

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where oh where have the airfare deals gone??

I think those really cheap fares are gone forever. I paid more for my ticket last August than I ever did- and I have been going to Vegas in the summer (and at other times) for about 20 years or so and my dates were fairly flexible.

I am hoping that when SW takes over some of Continental's gates at EWR (supposedly in March)- they will be flying to Vegas and will drive the rates down. But I am not counting on it.