We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

Typically I book at least 6 months but I have been holding off. We will be going to Vegas in Feb and the prices seem to be going up everytime I check. I thought I read somewhere on here that prices usually go down on Wednesdays, is there any truth to that?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
4,999 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I'll casually plan a few months in advance but won't usually 100% confirm a trip until around 3-4 weeks ahead of it happening. I appreciate it's different when you can easily drive to Vegas rather than having to fly.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I usually plan 6-8 months ahead...gives me something to really look forward to.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

We booked 11 months in advance! Looking back maybe we booked a bit early! But come this Sunday, it'll be worth the wait!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,020 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I'm sorry to say you've learned the pitfalls of waiting. I always lock in something refundable the minute I know my dates (which is usually pretty far in advance). Then we don't have to worry if things go up, only if they go down (then we get an adjustment). If you know you're going for sure lock in SOMETHING...who knows whether things will go down or not. February has Valentine's Day, President's weekend, etc., so some weeks are going to be really busy.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

We're going 2/16 - 2/24 and so far have booked our SW flights out of Florida for $309 rt. and MGM for approximately $700. This was done mid-November. We must stay at MGM so I'll be watching to see if by chance the rates fall but I doubt it. I start researching the minute I get the go ahead.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 22:50
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I book when I think a deal can't get much better. I know what is and is not a good price from Columbus to Vegas. If my room is not comped, I book it and keep checking for lower rates until the night before I leave.

Canada
Level Contributor
857 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I book a week or two after we get back from a trip and we go about every 6 months.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I book 10 - 11 months in advance for comp rooms and then will search for lowest possible airfare out of the all the months that i have booked (normally go to Vegas 4-5 times a year). At least something to look forward to for the next 12 months.

Seattle
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

I booked my Dec. trip 2 months ago and knew I would be going for Super Bowl in Feb., so booked a great price with SW last month.....yesterday, I got an e-mail offer from The Orleans for 2 free nights in Dec. so cancelled a strip hotel.....I figured the rates would go down for Dec. and they have...I also think the rates will go down for Feb. so holding out on hotels..

Missouri
Level Contributor
260 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Far in Advance Do You Usually Book Your Trip

We usually book our hotel for the next trip when we get home from current trip.Try to go every 4 to 6 months, airfare is a different matter. We have booked as far as a year in advance to 3 to 4 weeks before departure. Always looking for the best airfare I can get.

Starzz