We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA or Virgin direct?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
BA or Virgin direct?

We want to go direct next year as the 10hr 40 flights sounds way better that around 16 hours with a stopover...

so which is the better one to choose for service?

British Airways or Virgin...

virgin use a going to use a boing 747 from Manchester and google says BA from London are using a new 747 too from early next year...

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k329535…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k321050…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k375479…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k322962…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k364340…

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

thanks...

neither sound great so may as well stick with manchester as its easier for us...

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

I'd always go for the one closest to home - Gatwick and Virgin, in my case. Just as well as I find Virgin more comfortable than BA for long-haul travel.

I did an 18-hour indirect flight one year after a friend wanted to go with me via the Mall of America. The friend cancelled and I was stuck with a long, long, broken up flight - never again. I wasted Vegas time, direct only from now on.

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
446 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

I had no problems with Virgin from Gatwick.

sheffield - uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

I hated the virgin gatwick - vegas direct flight - rubbish service, ran out of drink, uncomfortable, rubbish in flight entertainment (which wasnt working for 50% of the plane).

I think the new Manc - vegas virgin flight is using the same planes, so i wouldnt use them tbh .

We flew direct with thomas cook from manchester in premium economy which was about the same price as virgin direct flights are now, and was brill (TC are stopping doing premium economy i think tho)

We live 1hour from manc, and this summer will be going from Manchester with US airways - longer flight but id seriously rather that than the virgin one.

Dublin
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

I flew with Virgin earlier this year to vegas and thought it was absolutely fine, we paid at the desk at check in for extra leg room and I have to say i think it was worth it for 10 hrs, my husband is over 6 ft and those extra few inches were a godsend for him. BA always seem to be striking so I think Virgin is better for peace of mind.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

fairbrs..............we have got back recently and went on the US airwaysfrom manchester and 50 of us missed the connecting flight in Philidelphia due to the big queues at security and waiting for the bags....the stopover was 1hr 50 but nobody got the second plane.....

we only waited about 2 extra hours but some on our flight had to wait about 6hrs....

The flight was ok but my wifes tv screen didnt work and they couldnt do anything about it so the first flight for 7.5 hours seemed very long indeed...

food was awful on the plane too!!!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

Hey fookincats just back from Vegas yesterday. We flew from Glasgow to Heathrow and took the direct flight from there. It was BA and I was impressed by the service. It was about 10 or so hours going out and 9 hours coming back. It was way better than the previous year with American Airlines via Philadelphia & Chicago. Seats were comfortable and on-flight entertainment good. I think we'd definately use this flight in future. It's just easier than having to do all the picking up your bags in Phily or whatever hub you go via then going through immigration to go on another plane. It was better doing it all in Vegas to know that once we were off the plane we were minutes from our hotel.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

All my direct flights have been with Virgin.

Its a bit of a pain getting down to Gatwick, but i refuse to fly with BA because i have NEVER once seen their prices lower than Virgins, and why risk going with BA when they seem to be on strike, or threatening to go on strike every 5 minutes.

Saying that, there is no doubt the Virgin service has gone down hill somewhat over the past few years, imo.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BA or Virgin direct?

BA is currently cheaper than virgin for sept 2011 flying from London if

you book with ebookers :-)