We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

planning our summer vacation. have been wanting to see the Grand Canyon...but wondering whether going there in July/August will be too hot?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Thousands of people visit the GC each day in July and Aug.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 05:09
2. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 05:57
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Its really not that hot. See below:

The spring and summer months are THE most popular season for visiting Grand Canyon National Park. When considering what weather to expect, you should also keep in mind that with good weather comes large crowds, scarce parking and busy viewpoints and visitors centers.

Average temperatures for the South Rim are: May high 70 / low 39; June high 81 / low 47; July high 84 / low 54; August high 81 / low 53; September high 76 / low 47.

toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

I have been looking at the lodging in the Grand Canyon park itself....do you think maybe if we stay there and not really hike down to the bottom of the canyon, it won't be so bad? I have 2 young kids, aged 9 and 6.....don't really want to spend my vacation with them complaining about the heat...what do you think?

toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

thanks for the temperature info Good beer...80's are tolerable....and even 90's....just don't know if I could stand 100's and up. Oh, I see, you are from San Diego...how far is it a drive from San Diego to the Grand canyon?

Edited: 26 January 2011, 05:36
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Ive never made the drive from here but its 550 miles.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

A hike to the bottom is not recommended, but here are plenty of other hikes to do in July/August. I was there this past August, we hiked down about an hour and a half, that was more than enough. I do wish we had stayed inside the park, you must book ASAP for in the park. We were unable to experience sunrise because of this.

It was refreshing leaving the 105 degree and higher temps in Vegas to spend just under a day at the South Rim.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Posts numbers 2 and 24 (I think it was 24, i just checked and forget already, somewhere around there!) describe my time at GCNP in Aug 2010. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

Oops I forgot the link!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k391594…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,424 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it too hot to visit the grand canyon in July/August?

There is never a bad time to visit the Grand Canyon NP. Summer is probably the busiest because it is family vacation season. As noted, temps at the rim inside the park are moderate. Absence of humidity will make 90 seem more like 80 anyway. And nights will still be cold.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CANYON!!!

Barely 5% of GCNP visitors ever get there and you don't need to to have an amazing GC experience. It is a unique and extreme environment and not for an average visitor. My personal recommendation is to NEVER attempt such a trek on a first time visit to the GC no matter how fit and experienced a hiker/climber you might be. One needs to understand and appreciate the Grand Canyon first hand, before attempting any serious hiking there. You cannot gain this understanding anywhere else in the world.

Use the park website to plan your visit

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm