We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

orange county CA
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Topic
LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

taxi cab article from las vegas sun...

heres an insert:

".....“We call them ‘tunnel rats,’ ” Terry (not his real name) tells me, driving down Harmon Avenue. His cab is typically dank and cramped and smells like a potpourri-scented locker room. “You come out of the airport, go through the tunnel that takes you onto the (Interstate) 215, to the 15” to get to the Strip. It adds about $10 to a fare, and is legal only if the driver offers it as an option to the passenger. The technical term for the practice is “long-hauling,” taking unwitting passengers the long way around — typically from the airport to the Strip (the most common route for nearly all cabs) but also from the Strip to downtown — and it’s one of the major issues damning Las Vegas taxis today. One cabbie tells me of a driver who was caught charging a fare of $92 from the airport to the Hard Rock Hotel (let’s just say he took the scenic route: as most locals know, it’s less than two miles away)....."

read whole article.

lasvegassun.com/news/…

Special Offer
Las Vegas Night Tour of the Strip by...
138 reviews
from US$39.99*
US$43.04
Las Vegas Club Crawl
10 reviews
from US$39.99*
Las Vegas Strip Ultra Limousine Tour
20 reviews
from US$199.99*
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
651 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

wow! 92 dollars for aiport to HR? You could have gotten a limo for that!!

Edited: 31 January 2011, 13:51
scotland UK
Level Contributor
545 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

I thought what i was charged was bad enough - $68 to get to Wynn. I will know better next time, I'll ask for a price before i get into the cab.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

Thank you for posting. We NEED to tell them our route just to protect ourselves.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

I encountered a minor long haul last week. I was moving from the TI to the Aria with my luggage. Abebe, the somali or ethiopean driver, pulls out of the TI at the back side. Instead of heading directly down the strip, he also skipped using Frank Sinatra, he turns left like he is going to jump on I 15, and I told him dont you dare get the on the freeway, He says he is not. we end up on the other side of 15 and he starts left and right turns, finally crosses back under 15 into the back side of the Aria, instead of the front circle near check in. He is bragging about how much faster his way is.

so he sticks me with a long walk to registration. The Fare was $9.70 and probably should have been $6. I also told him I had the taxi authority number on my cell phone. So he got no tip and a gesture from me once my luggage was out of his cab.

I use the shuttles, esp Bell Trans, on the Bell Trans trip from the Airport to the TI, we made a stop at the Mirage to drop passengers and the driver says TI next, he goes out on to the Blvd and turns left into the mirage TI split and goes to the left back to the front of the Mirage again and says oops. round and round again we go. On the return trip, the Bell Trans driver was early and very fast back directly to the airport. Avoiding cabbies is the best policy..

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

Thanks for that info!!

Low...do you know what exactly to say to the cabbie to get to the Mirage, the route?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

Diva, I've gone both routes to Mirage. Tried the freeway and it cost like $24

But for me, Id choose this route...

Swenson, to Paradise, to Sands, then left on Las Vegas Blvd....

Google maps is your friend.....

Edited: 31 January 2011, 15:43
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

Thanks Low....

I'm lazy this am....need more coffee. Just wanted to make sure I got the right roads.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

There are a lot of very simple things that the county could do to solve this problem.

1) require the guys at the cab stand to tell you the best route to the hotel

2) require that the cabs post basic information inside them describing best rates & route information

3) require cabs to post this chart in plain view of passengers: http://taxi.state.nv.us/FaresFees.htm

3) Go to a zone system

4) Increase penalties for cabbies that are caught long hauling

5) Fine the cab companies if their cabbies are caught long hauling

6) Make public transit a better option. Run busses to the airport. Eventually a metro system running to the airport & up the strip would be fantastic

The truth is that the tourists have no political clout in Nevada or Las Vegas and the cab companies do. As long as this basic facts holds, the scams will continue. Tourists will continue to get ripped off. Cab companies will continue to prosper.

BC
Level Contributor
138 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

So about how much should it cost from airport to the condo "allure" about so we know when we ask.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,094 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LVSun: Las Vegas cab drivers say they’re driven to cheat

"So about how much should it cost from airport to the condo "allure" about so we know when we ask."

This place is near the Sahara, so use that as a rough guess and say $18-$20.