We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
$20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Checking in tomarrow at Bally's and was wondering if the $20 sandwich tip at checkin still works for a comped upgrade. Every post I have seen is years old. Thanks for any info.

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Ask nicely and if you get an upgrade then tip.Nobody can tell you if the "bribe" will work for sure (there is no trick to it)

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Won't know until you try. Give it a go and let us know how it works out.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

It may, it may not. Then again, asking nicely has just as good a chance.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

was hoping to get replies from users who have done this recently. "don't know if until you try" does me little good.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Well, the last time I tried was end of February last year, so almost a year ago. I tried at Caesar's and it worked like a charm. Got upgraded from their basic room to a room in the Augustus Tower - amazing! Definitely worth a shot.

AZ
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

I'm not sure how often we all admit it on here since the topic can draw some fire, but I have nicely asked and then "tipped" with the $20. held in my hand during the check-in process the last 4 times we checked in at a Harrah's property and have gotten a suite every time.

I have payed for the upgrade a time or two as well, as that is CET's new way of doing upgrades, but the last two times there has not been an upgrade fee. I am Platinum so that may have something to do with the free upgrades but every time I have done it, the clerks have worked really hard to get me into the room class/view that I am wanting and so I have no problem tipping for it. Looking at it this way has really decreased my stress at check-in time and has been warmly received too.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Worked for me at Bellagio last October, got an upgrade from a standard to a lake view room.

8. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 18:58
Edited: 05 February 2011, 18:58
Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

Having read a thread on this issue every week for the past 5 years (the topic comes up at least once a week), I can tell you that 'you won't know until you try' is the most accurate answer that you'll get here.

Some people have been successful with this method. Many have not.

Many have had success just asking nicely for an upgrade, without the $20.

It's VERY rare that a poster will reply and say, 'yea, I just did this at Bally's last week and here is how it went ... ' It just doesn't work that way.

Given how a lot of regular participants to this forum reply to people asking about the $20 trick, my reply was actually quite kind.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $20 sandwich upgrade still work?

kudos to Truman :)

My comment is that it may or may not be an option for the desk staff to even offer an upgrade due to the administrative policies of the hotel. I do know others here have posted that you can pay a daily rate for an upgrade at Harrah's properties upon check-in.