We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

So not going into alot of detail since you all know probably by now that SWA is NOT being kind to us again this year. I really don't want to drive but given the cost of air right now, that may be our only option again this year.

Anyway I was wondering what if we flew to a CA airport then drove to Vegas from there, and if it would save any money in the long run since we'd have logistics of car and possibly hotel to coordinate with our flights.

So we can do nonstop from Kansas City to LAX (I am not afraid to drive in traffic but figure that would not be a very good option?) on SWA. I wonder if there are other airlines or airports I need to check that my CA friends fly on to Vegas....any suggestions are appreciated.

I am not giving up yet on SWA since their Tues email specials this week went only to May and we are looking at June, but I would like to know all out options and appreciate your thoughts :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Ducky, check Ontario (ONT) - you'll be halfway there.

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Ducky, look at Ontario first, as it is smaller (by alot) and closer (by a bit) than LAX. If not, then Burbank way before LAX. And from Burbank you jump on the 134 to the 210 all diamond lanes to the 15.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Thanks Warm...actually when my aunt and uncle lived in Southern CA, we flew into Ontario.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Hey Under...we were both typing at the same time. LOL

So in your opinions, do you think that is not a wise idea?

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Ontario would be a good bet.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Not sure what you're asking about, Ducky - doing ONT or california at all? Of course direct to Vegas would be better, but if you're going to do the CA thing then Up and I agree on ONT. Just don't arrive on a Friday or leave on a Sunday!

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

I can't think of any instance in which flying into Southern California first is a better choice for getting to Las Vegas than flying there directly. The cost of an interstate car rental and currently rising gasoline prices in addition to the time seems to negate any perceived benefit.

2 options to LAX are:

Burbank Bob Hope Airport (4 hour drive depending on day of travel)

Ontario Airport (3 hour drive depending on day of travel)

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Thanks to all, and Nightdrive is correct (well you all are)!

After checking, it doesn't appear even by the cost of the airfare that it saves us any money and would in fact, cost more...so never mind :(

I am just so frustrated since we have comped rooms at CP (first time) and going for the Sumfest parties so need specific dates, and now we can't get good airfare to get there. It used to be that we'd get good air but had to search and search for affordable hotel rooms....sigh

Colorado
Level Contributor
664 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

Ducky - if you could get to either Colorado Springs or Pueblo, you could fly Allegiant Air out to Vegas Sundays with a Thursday return. Current base price for month of Feb./March (without all the add-on's like take off and landing fee) is $29.99 per person per flight. Once you add on all the extra's of choosing your own seat and checking a bag it usually runs about $120 per person per flight. Maybe you could get a cheap flight in and out of Colo. Springs to supplement.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Question to Vegas for my CA friends...

thanks Gdeb...actually that's another option we are discussing since Ducky Brother-in-law from the Springs is going this trip so will have to keep looking at what we can do since we are NOT going to pay such ridiculous airfare :(