We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

BURLINGTON ONT
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

All these people trying to do Vegas on a 100 dollars a day?

Maybe in the days of cheap shows and lots of two for one but it is now back to regular prices

Wha tdo yu think is a reasonable budget for 4 nights in Vegas

Mine is a minimum of 2000

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,006 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

Because you can get a room at a 5* hotel for a fraction of the price you pay for one anywhere else. Because if you choose to you can eat and drink for next to nothing.

I was just in Whistler this past weekend staying at the Hilton for $300/night plus $30 parking per night and drinking $8 beers and skiing on lift tickets that cost $100/day.

Vegas can be a very inexpensive vacation.

Edited: 11 February 2011, 21:31
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

^^^agree!^^^^

And I can ususally do just fine on ~$300.00 per day

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

I agree 100%. Vegas is one of the more expensive trips I think....

I'm coming in march for 6 days and I've had to think what I'm bringing for cash and it's a lot more than I've brought before for 3-4 days....I guess there are some who can do it for 100 bucks a day but the LAST thing I want to be worried about on vacation is penny pinchin'.....Food alone can be expensive....I don't spend 200 bucks a meal but I'm not even considering mcd's.....LOL

You could do a week all inclusive somewhere for 1000....But it's just not Vegas.....

Loveland Colorado
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

We budget about $1800- for a 4 day trip. But in the years past, we did it on a whole lot less. I know people now that do it on less and still have a great time. I think its a very economical place to vacation at. Thats the beauty of Vegas baby, something for everyone!!

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

It can be a cheap holiday, or a very expensive one...it all depends on the person. I don't know where else I could go and get a flight plus 5 nights hotel for under $300.00. What I spend once I am there is up to me. I don't spend a lot of money on expensive dinners. When I go to a show or gamble, that's entertainment that I've budgeted for.

We also go on a motorcycle trip once a year with a group. By the time we pay for the hotels/food/gas..we have just as much invested or more as my Vegas trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

Well, I think what makes Vegas so expensive is the money one loses on gambling....otherwise its not really that expensive at all.

Like GoodBeer says, a few nights up in Whister BC is crazy expensive!

So to me, I find the rooms and everything to be pretty affordable in Vegas. Plus the "free " drinks while you gamble are a bonus.

Also have been to AC and Lake Tahoe, and trust me when I say that both of those trips cost me more than the LV trips ever do.

Edited: 11 February 2011, 21:40
Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

Because it can still be a cheap holiday!

Depending on when you go you can stay in a 3* hotel for $35 a night. ACG and LVA coupons still give you all the 2-4-1's, free play etc. Even without that, places like Eliis Island and downtown are still a real bargain. I don't really find it any more expensive than when I 1st went 7 years ago.

On the other hand, if you want to stay in a $300 a night hotel room and pay $200 a head for dinner, you can!

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

If you're going to walk around with only a couple hundred dollars in your pocket would you rather be at home, or Vegas?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

It depends on what you mean by budget.

If you just mean spending money for 4 days in Vegas....for me, it's $200/day or $800 total.

Now with hotel & air factored in...that goes up another $550 (300 air + 250 hotel 4 nites (Trop)....so now my total is $1350.

Add in transportation costs....airport parking/shuttles $50...plus$100 for a pre paid show ('O' in my case)....then i'm at $1500 when all is said & done. For me, that's reasonable.

But a big perk is that there's always the potential of bringing back your whole budget home with you through gambling. :)

I think Vegas is an incredibly cheap holiday and 4 days can be done for far less than $1500 and still be just as enjoyable than with double the budget.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
794 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do people still think Vegas is a cheap holiday?

I agree - Whistler is ridiculous. We priced out a stay over NYE and 2 nights in Whistler was something like $1200 - we could fly down to Vegas and stay for 3 (4?) nights for that same price.

I think you CAN do Vegas for cheaper - fill up at breakfast and don't eat lunch, then eat dinner. Pre drink in your rooms. Buy show tickets from Tickets For Tonight and just take a gamble on what you see. Spend a lot of time sight seeing. Don't gamble too much. It doesn't *have* to break the bank.