We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DDB VP strategy question...

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
DDB VP strategy question...

Hey all,

I was just wondering when delt 2 pair and one of the pairs are Aces do you just keep the Aces or hold the 2 pair?

If the ansewer is to keep the Aces instead of drawing for a full house then should a pair of 4's or lower be held too instead of a FH draw?

Thanks for your thought's on the matter,

Jimmychips

so cal
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

I hold the pair of aces, love going for the four aces with the kicker!

Not sure what the appropriate strategy is but that's what I do.

so cal
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

In regards to the second part of the question, not sure I'm understanding what you are asking.

Are you asking if the machine deals you two pairs (one pair being jacks or higher and the other tens or lower) do you hold them both or only keep one pair? When playing ddb, I generally just hold the pair of jacks or better and throw away lower paired cards. I would rather try for four of a kind or even three of a kind.

Hope that's what you were asking.

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

In DDB a 4 of a kind when quad 4's or less pay better than a regular 4 of a kind by almost double.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

If it's two pair with aces, go for the aces. If it's two pair with any other set of cards, hold the two pair.

so cal
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

I think I get what you're asking.

Since 2's, 3's& 4's pay more than 5's thru k's, would you hold a pair of them and let a higher pair go. I would hold both pairs. Somehow I don't consider them like I do aces.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

a good deal of the expected return in DDB comes from the full house (assuming here that you're playing full pay DDB). hold the two pair EXCEPT when one of those pairs is aces... then hold just the aces.

other common mistakes in DDB: holding kickers when you don't already have a pat bonus quad... and holding full houses containing three aces. don't do either of these things!

the only time to hold a dealt kicker is when it accompanies a dealt bonus quad (aces, 2s, 3s, 4s ). and when you're dealt a full house containing three aces, hold just the three aces.

7. Re: DDB VP strategy question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 06:16