We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Selkirk, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

I have been to Italy and France. No pickpockets.

I have been to Las Vegas Outlet Center (SOUTH end) and I was relieved of my HD camcorder.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

how did you get a camcorder in your pocket

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

gotpunk...LMAO!!!!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

And your point is?? Im sure there is a pickpocket or 2 in both Italy and France-what happened to you could have happened in any city in the world.

1 of the worst places im aware of in the world for pickpockets is 1 of the nicest towns in the world-Barcelona. Hardly a ways of judging a city tho.

D

1700-10

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Everywhere I went in France I was confronted by someone who "found" a gold ring or needed an American to help them find a way home. LOL

In Vegas I just keep an eye on my stuff.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Big city rule number. 1 don't look like a tourist

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

This doesn't sound like a case of a pickpocket to me, but someone who took advantage of a tourist not paying attention.

One should worry about possibly having their pockets picked when standing in crowds on the Strip, OR in any destination in the world. Thank you for sharing what happened to you, but I don't think people have to worry that a major crime spree is happening at Las Vegas shopping outlets any more than crime that happens at any shopping outlet.

And yes, there are pickpockets in Italy and France, you just didn't meet any.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Haha, that ring thing in Paris has happened to me twice (didn't fall for it either time). When I find something, first thing I do is think about turning it in rather than trying it on, faking it doesn't fit and then trying to get someone else to take it.

Sorry if you camcorder was stolen but doesn't matter what city you're in. Always have to keep a close eye on your stuff.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Unfotunately, this kind of thing can happen anywhere. My family and extended family have never had any issues in the United States where most of our travel occurs. Then again we are from the US and I'm sure look less like targets here than other places where we don't speak the language as well etc.

Negative incidents (just two in 50 years of travel on my own, with my family, and with my extended family -- I'm 50 now):

My dad had a high end camera with a big lense pulled off of his arm in the Paris ariport. He had to take that out of bags to go through securty, and before he had things situatated things all back in, someone gabbed it off of his arm bruising his arm etc. and ran.

In Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (We think this occured at a resturant in the Marina area -- a place where we gave out our credit card to pay for dinner), shortly after that false charges from some foreign countries we didn't visit were posted to our card. We were not charged, of course, but had the hassel of straightening things out with the credit card company, etc.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

There aren't many cities in the world (especially the big ones) where pickpocketing doesn't occur. You have been to Italy and France- I have been to just about every Western Euopean country (some more than once) and some countries in South and Central America. The only incident I have had - my wallet stolen in the Madrid Metro. I have been in Vegas over 1,000 days- and nothing-absolutely nothing- bad has happened to me.

So, what does all this prove? Vegas is safer than all the other cities of the world-at least for me? Based on-what? One incident in Madrid? An incident that could have happened anywhere-including my hometown?Having something taken from you is no fun. That Metro ride cost me a bundle- including buying a new Coach wallet. Most of all - it cost me some of my pride. I, a seasoned traveler- felt like an idiot for enabling it to happen (they were good- very, very good).

All one can do is use common sense, take certain precautions and then ...let it go. There are thieves- some who are masters of their craft- everywhere.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas vs Europe Pickpocket

Hi

If your going on personal experiences, I vote for europe being much worse than the states. Did get pick pocketed in Vienna on the metro. Next day there was a sign posted at the stations with warnings. Rome is also a very bad place for this and gypsy scams.

Learn't my lesson the hard way in Vienna, now try to be more aware where ever I go.

Clive