We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Topic
SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

So, booking Wynn for 5 nights first of august, right now plan is to checkout on a Wed. morning and go either to Grand Canyon or straight to LA. I'm thinking I'll probably be able to get a direct flight JetBlue or Southwest deal to get SoCal cheaper and then rent a car.

Problem is my package deal is alot cheaper if I fly home from Vegas and not LAX, so trying to figure out a way to come back to vegas for one last night then fly home. Should I just rent a car or is cost and time too much?

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
219 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

Depending on traffic, you are looking at probably a 6-8 hour drive from LA to LV. A rental car for 24 hours will probably run you $30-40 plus gas on the cheap side. It's perfectly doable, but it sort of ruins a day of your vacation. Might be better to see if you can find another cheap flight back from LA to LV - some carriers offer fares from LA to LV as low as $29 one way - which would be both cheaper and faster than renting a car.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

Right now, Jet Blue, SW and USAir are all priced at $74/each one way to LAX or Long Beach. I'm hoping price comes down to that $29 price but its a gamble. I have to lock down the return flight from either LAX or other airport to CLT which cost $300 more or figure out a way back to Vegas to fly home.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

The drive from LA is about 5 hours. The only time it takes 6-8 is if there is a horrible accident or some other reason for the freeway to be closed or jammed.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
219 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

^^Your starla should know the average drive time better than me, I've only done it twice and both were on holiday weekends :)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

How much time should I alot for SoCal? We want to see hollywood, Stars etc....Bev. Hills and beach areas down to maybe Orange County(neither of us have ever been).

Also, is this possible....checkout at Wynn, rent car and drive to Grand Canyon...then fly out of Flagstaff next day to SoCal which would mean dropping rental car off in Flagstaff. Is there always a big fee to drop a rental car like this?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

LA to Grand Canyon is a really long drive though right?

Probably going to book this and cross fingers Jet Blue and SouthWest run their usual flight specials later this summer for my dates.

NC
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

SoCal with the places you want to see, I would want at least a couple of days. Have not been to Southern Calif in more than 10 years but there is quite a bit of distance between those places, not to mention traffic on the freeways.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

From the beach cities in The OC you can make the drive in 4 hours if you don't stop and avoid traffic. It only takes me a little less than 5 hrs from downtown San Diego.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

Both GC and LA are the kind of trips that you *can* do in one day, but an overnight in there would make them better. If I had only 5 days in Vegas, I would not try to do both of them. (Of course that is just my opinion.)

Also, I did a trip to LA (Santa Monica & Venice Beach) on one of my days of my last Vegas trip. I flew SWA both ways and thought that was definately the way to go. If I went there again, it would be by flying directly TO LA and staying.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SoCal and GC advice - is this doable or stupid?

Grand Canyon to LA is about an 8 hour drive.Could take longer if you hit traffic in LA.