We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Kernersville, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

I want to say thank you for helping us plan our trip that is coming up in April.....Woot Woot =')..Our first time to Vegas.....anyway ...we are stuggling about renting a car. We will be arriving on a Monday and leaving the following weekend. We are wanting to rent a car just for a day to go a few place that are not near.Should we rent from the airport when we get there ..but then we have to think about taking the car back and paying for a cab to take us back to the hotel..........or rent from the hotel???.....we are staying at CP.......Also my MR. called CP today and they quoted him like 80 bucks for the day !! Does that sound correct ??!!! Please give me some advise........thank you =')

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

The airport rental places will be cheaper. Why not just rent a car the whole time you're there? The money you save on cabs to and from the airport when you arrive and leave and on cabs to the rental company should cover the difference in price. And you can just valet at Caesars.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,514 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Dollar rental allows you to pick your car up at the airport and drop it off at the Hotel which makes it very easy, But since your staying at Caesars you are dealing with Hertz I believe, I do not know what there policy is, either call and find out if they have this service or a Pick up service once your in LV.

$80 does seem high for a day, you will pay more at the Hotel then at the airport but not this much, you should be in the $30 -40 range per day but of course that depends on what your renting and what Ins your taking.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Also, don't book by phone. Check kayak.com, carrentals.com, and hotwire.

Oklahoma City...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Your are a bit late on making the car reservation. They tend to get higher the closer to the trip date. Try signing up for the Alamo insider once signed up they have a $40 off coupon you can use on the reservation and usually give %10 off for memebers of there insiders club.

I got a full size for 4/3 - 4/8 for $108 including taxes.

Hope this helps.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

We have found the same thing. The last time we were in Vegas it was 19/day - now it's at least 45/day. Try priceline.com's name your own price if you are not too fussy on the type of car you get. The only downside, is that you may have to take a taxi to and from the car rental place if they don't offer free pick up service. Alternatively, you can try travelocity, expedia or the regular priceline, and see what you can get.

Also, consider joining one of the loyalty programs. Sometimes you get free upgrades or discounts.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Edit

Edited: 29 March 2011, 20:19
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

I just tried Kayak.com as per x94cherry's post - it seems to be the cheapest. Once you search, you can pick a car, and it will redirect you to that rental agency's website to complete the transaction.

I never knew about kayak until today! Thanks x94cherry!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Go to Alamo.com and book your car for the entire trip. You can always cancel and it doesn't cost a thing. Also, you can get discount codes by doing a google search for "alamo discount codes". Then, after you make your reservation, you go back and check the price daily, sometimes a few times a day. We ended up getting our last car for 6 nights/7 days for $112 INCLUDING taxes and fees. Alamo is awesome. Also, sign up for their loyalty program and you can use their kiosk at the car rental facility and you never have to wait in a line or see an agent. Just get the receipt and walk out to pick out your car.

Hope this helps.

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Car rental rates are higher now than ever, especially since you are so close to your trip.

If you are not going to need it more than 1 day, just rent it at one of the Strip hotels for 24 hours. No need to pay for the extra days if you aren't going to use it. The only reason to keep it the whole time would be if the cost of the cab to and from the airport plus the one day charge is equal to the rental for the whole trip.

We rented a car for one day and it will be $66 including taxes. We are staying at Wynn and getting the car at TI. If we want one for four days it will be over $200. Even with the cost of the taxi to and from the airport, we can take a lot of cabs for that difference in total price.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rentng a car....Kinda pricey !!?? Help

Get it for the entire trip - we did that and loved it. Freedom to go where you want when you want Rosemary's for dinner, downtown with no cab fare, Valley of Fire, Red Rocks Canyon. Next trip we will take the car to the Grand Canyon