We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old las vegas mormon fort state park

tel aviv
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
old las vegas mormon fort state park

we are planning to stay several days in Las Vegas next October

and we wanted to know if the mormon fort state park is a nice place to visit/

thank's

the Geron familly

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

It's a small park that doesn't take a lot of time to see, but gives a good look at how early settlers lived there years ago. It also provides context on why the area was desirable at that time.

tel aviv
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

thank's very much for your answer

The Geron familly

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

I enjoyed it. If you're interested in the history of Las Vegas, it's certainly worth a visit. It's a smaller museum/visitor center and then the fort itself, so there's not a lot to see, but it's definitely worth stopping by. I was there for a little less than an hour.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

I don't know anything about this park - but I thought your title said "Old Las Vegas Mormon For Sale".

I swear there is no Bailey's in my coffee this morning. LOL

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

Yes, this is a small place, but it is the birthplace of Las Vegas, so it will give you some background on the city's origins. It isn't on the usual tourist paths, but it isn't far from the center of the city.

The first colonizing was by Mormon settlers sent from Utah by Brigham Young in 1856, to secure a path to the Pacific Ocean. It was a bit like the California Spanish missions: a way to ensure passage and trade routes, etc. But it was even more important because Utah is totally landlocked.

Las Vegas is not a city that puts much stock in its past, because so many people come from elsewhere and don't have local roots. Once something is 30 or 40 years old, it's outdated and useless and gets knocked down and no one misses it. This landmark used to be bigger, but much of it was demolished in the 60s or 70s so only a small part is left, mainly the ranch house with exhibits. There are also demonstration gardens.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

It is near the nature museum and the neon boneyard and fairly close to Cashman baseball field in North Las Vegas on the Blvd, about a mile north of Fremont is a not so nice area, Drive there.

7. Re: old las vegas mormon fort state park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:23