We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

Hi All,

I am starting to stress a tad over airfare deals from LAS to NYC. My partner and I are doing a trip throughout the USA and Mexico and this leg of our trip is the last one we need to book. We are looking for a direct flight from LAS to NYC (any airport) leaving around 7ish in the morning. The day is a Friday and the date is the 12 August 2011. I know Fridays are a more expensive day to fly, but we need to arrive in NYC before the 13th because we are celebrating our anniversary there and we cant leave vegas until after the 11th, because the 11th is his birthday! Currently the cheapest flights that leave Vegas in the morning and arrive in NYC in the afternoon are Delta ($293.00) and Continental/United ($305 into Newark). Being from Australia, I have no idea what a good value for money flight is... but from looking at other months and reading posts on here, this does appear to be quite high. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should snap them up (I have had a look at the seat maps and both planes appear to be empty!) or wait a little while longer? I have had a look at closer months and the Continental flight gets down to 150 - 190 in June... I haven't seen the Delta flight for too much lower than what it is now. Is August a predominately more expensive time to travel? I am starting to see some sale flights come out for this time, but they are all for late night/early morning flights with layovers.... Any advice/comment would be greatly appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

flying from las vegas to nyc is like flying perth to melbourne. maybe a little longer (1/2 hour). those prices are really good. Have you tried virgin america? they are pretty reasonable as well.

very good prices for us, maybe not so much for americans.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

Looks like JetBlue would be $283 from LAS to JFK on that day. VirginAmerica does sometimes have good prices, too, though I looked and they are more expensive for that particular day. I think summertime is usually more expensive for flights in general so it may be best to book sooner than later.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

Flight prices have been crazy lately; I'm watching for flights NYC - LAS in September and the prices have been moving $200 almost every week or two (round trip, up and down).

$300 each way is high; if it goes to $200 or below that's a very good price lately and I'd book it.

Where is your NYC destination? It might make a difference as to which airport is most convenient for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

I have read good things about Jet Blue! Especially with their first free checked bag... But their flight time for the direct route is not the most convenient for us. I will definitely keep my eye on it though, so thanks for the heads up!

We are staying in Midtown Manhattan...So I'm not too fussed about which airport we fly into... Just which ever one is offering the cheapest price! I am tracking the flight prices on Yapta... I can't believe how often and how much the price changes! It is a new figure everyday! I would really love to see the flight prices go down (wouldn't we all!), but I am still just trying to gauge the likelihood of this happening! Thanks for your responses!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

You are not going to find any great bargains if your travel dates/times are not flexible. Its good that you are open to fly into LGA, JFK or EWK. Sign up for alerts on airfarewatchdog, yapta, etc. Sales may occur during off-peak hours (middle of the night here in the US), but the majority of sales have restrictions that include flying on Tues through Thurs. Good luck!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

I would go with JetBlue as it seems that airfares will go up along with the price of oil. I booked our flights on JetBlue in February and managed to get them for $253 each (we leave Vegas on 8/11 back to JFK) but they have gone up since. Personally I wouldn't wait much longer.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 16:04
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

Yay... I ended up getting a good price on the Jetblue flight that leaves at 11.20am... 220 one way to JFK with taxes (and a free checked bag I believe). I know its only a saving of 25% but any saving is a good saving (Plus, according to Yapta, the sale only went for 48hrs)! All of Jetblue's flights for that week went down to $153... except for the 12th which is the date we have to fly... But o well! Still very happy! Thanks everyone for all of your great advise!!!

8. Re: Airfares from LAS to NYC in Aug 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:18