We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Las Vegas

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Las Vegas

Hello everyone out there. Just wanting to get some advice about day trips from Las Vegas. The following are trips that I think I want us to do, but want confirmation that they are possible in a day and best routes, drive times etc. Hope you all can help.

Trip 1 - From LV out to Death Valley and back in a day, what is best to see / experience? and how long a day? Best driving route for sigts?

Trip 2 - From LV to Valley of fire State Park and onto Hoover Dam (or other way around?) best part to visit and how long a day? Best driving route for sights?

After 4 nights in LV, we then drive over to GCNP for 2 nights in Yavapai Lodge. Any advice on where to go and what walks are a must do etc and best use of our time would be really appreciated. We are relatively fit and active but nothing too strenuous.

Hope someone can help and advise, thank you in advance. We are so excited to be coming over from England!!

Boston
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

Break your questions down into smaller posts; you will more than likely get more answers.

The drives over to these two places are straight forward.

Trip 1 - From LV out to Death Valley and back in a day.

Very doable, about a two hour drive.

Trip 2 - From LV to Valley of fire State Park and onto Hoover Dam (or other way around?

This is done all the time, do the Dam first then VOF, the Dam is only 30 miles away.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

OK, I'll make a couple suggestions: it might be more fun not to pack Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire into one day. They are both excellent, and I think it's more fun to enjoy them at a leisurely pace, take the dam tour (well worth it), maybe stop in Boulder City for lunch and to look around, etc. And you might find that you can stand to be away from Vegas for the day. The dining and nightlife are great to come back to after a day out. It's nice to come back at 4 or 5, relax for a bit and then a nice dinner and a night on the town. I would rather do that for 2 days in a row than pack everything into one day and get back into town late and totally exhausted.

Death Valley is great too, the salt flats, the old Borax works and lots of other cool stuff. It is a long day, because it takes awhile to get there and the park itself is very large. So it can take awhile to drive from one thing to the next.

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
563 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

yes! I was needing this information too, gonna do a day trip to the hoover then vof.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

Thank you both so far for quick responses, are you able to be more specific with regards to Death Valley, as to what is acheivable to see and do within a day visit time frame?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

Well, let's see. I think I did Zabriskie Point, Dante's View, the salt flats, the Artist's Pallette drive, and the Harmony Borax Works. All are highly recommended except maybe the Artist's Drive, it was cool but maybe not a must. I thought the Borax stuff was fascinating. I probably left mid-morning and got back in the evening. It would be possible to do more in a day if you really wanted to, but after doing that much I was tired and ready to head back. It's always fun to head back and know that there's a nice dinner and a party on Fremont Street waiting for you every night.

It might be fun to leave really early and stop in Pahrump for breakfast. Not a lot to see there, but I think little desert towns like that are interestng just because they're so bizarrely out in the middle of nowhere.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

Doing Death Valley in a day is definitely do-able, but you will only see the East side of the park! Leave early (8:00) enter the park at Beatty.

We "worked' our way down from Scotty's Castle and exited the park at Pahrump and back to Vegas.

If you go to Trip Advisor's Death Valley forums there is a post on the right hand side under the "Top Questions" that will give you a basic itinerary for a one day trip!

At the Grand Canyon you can take the free shuttle out towards Hermit's Rest stopping at all or some of the view points along the route! The shuttle buses run approx every 15 minutes so you are able to get on and off at your pace. If you would like to take a short hike down into the Canyon use the Bright Angel Trail. Rule of thumb is it will take you twice as long to come up as it did to go down! Don't wait until you are tired to turn around!!!

Have a meal at El Tovar! Very historical building and the atmosphere is wonderful! Dinner does require a reservation, but not breakfast or lunch!

You can also see view points along the East Rim Drive out towards The Watchtower. You are able to drive your own vehicle here, but you must take the free shuttle out towards Hermits Rest!

www.nps.gov/grca has a map of the park and a shuttle route so you can better see how it's laid out for your visit!

SJG

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

Thanks for this post. On our October visit, we are interested in the Hoover Dam tour and Valley of Fire. We are staying at Yavapai for three nights, then coming to Vegas for five. You do already have a reservation at Yavapai, right? Just checking. I just booked for October, and Yavapai was the last lodge available.

Oh, and what are your travel dates?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

I have done both of these trips within the last year or so (Hoover Dam/VOF as well as Death Valley).

For the first one we started at Hoover Dam and got there when they opened - took the short tour, walked around topside a bit, and then drove to VOF via the North Shore Rd around Lake Mead. Drove through VOF from east to west and had plenty of time to stop at most of the sites along the main road, plus Fire Canyon and the Arch Rock loop. This was in January, so sunset was around 4:30 PM. An extra hour of daylight would have been nice, but we did not feel "cheated" in any way.

For Death Valley, I *strongly* recommend that you stay overnight in the park if possible. It is the size of Connecticut, and there is a lot to see (and distances are great). The sunrises and sunsets are spectacular, so you will want to catch one or both of those if you can. I'll second the recommendation to ask for advice in the Death Valley forum on TripAdvisor - several knowledgeable people hang out there and they can give you some great suggestions for a 1 or 2 day itinerary.

-JimG

9. Re: Day trips from Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 02:18