We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Hi,

I am travelling to Vegas on May 6th for 3 nights and we might hire a car (4 adults) and visit the dam.

Can anyone recommend whether it is worth going on either the Powerplant Tour or the Hoover Dam Tour, or just paying the $7 for parking and looking at the dam and walking around it?

I understand what you get from each but just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions in general.

Also, I am not 100% clear; do you have to pay the $7 parking fee if you pay for a tour pass or is it included?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Red Electric Bike Tours
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Hi

Unless it's change recently, drive over the dam to the Arizona side and park up the hill, free parking there.

The power plant is a nice tour although when we first took it pre 9/11 you did go outside and stand at the bottom of the dam, which was impressive. I would not go all the way there and not do a tour,imo.

Also if your driving you could go to the Dam hotel in Boulder City, they have a free museum in there, and also concider a visit to Valley of Fire, very nice and can be combined with a trip to the dam with a round trip.

Clive

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

The entire tour is totally worth it. It's obviously nothing fancy, but something you definately won't regret seeing.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

I did the tour, thought it was great. I think I would have been disappointed if I went all the way out there and just saw the non-tour stuff. I really think it's worth the money for the tour.

Also, I was there a few years ago, but we did pay for parking on top of the charge for the tour. Still worth it, though.

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Ok, thanks all. So, the vote is definately for the tour but which one - the 30 minute Powerplant Tour or 1 hour tour Hoover Dam Tour - any comments?

Thanks,

Jason

Delaware
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

I have to say, based on my trip in 2005, that you should skip the tour. We waited over an hour in line to be sent into a theater to watch a video, which is pretty much the same as any Discovery Channel documentary you could watch. Then we were send to the "turbine room" which was basically a balcony overlooking the turbines. Just like in the video, only louder. 

In my opinion, walking around the top of the Dam on our own was the best part of the visit. 

So my vote is to skip the tour and catch the documentary of the Dam on your hotel tv on the non-stop Vegas History channel. 

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

The one hour tour is awesome, and would definately reccoment. Used to be called the Hardhat tour, and you got to keep the cool hardhat! Be warned though, that to go on any tour you will go through security screening, so if you have a pocket knife or anything like it, you'll be asked to leave it with security.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

We enjoyed a "spur of the moment" tour by a company next to the Hawaiian Market Place that took us to Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, and a quick trip to Ethel M Chocolates(I would be okay not going there again). It was $29.00 per person, they picked us up in a Hummer, we were back on the Strip in 3 hours. We saw what we wanted to see, it was perfect without eating up the entire day.

Hoover Dam is definitely a sight to see.

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Ok, keep them coming as differing opinions here.

We will have four lads on a batchelor party/stag do just coming off some fun from lake mead, so need to bear that in mind, in terms of interest, waiting in lines etc.

Thanks again in advance.

Jason

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

We've done the tour several times but admit it's been a few years since we've avoided the dam area do to the road construction.

Mr. Ducky is a machinist in a large industrial company, so it is of much interest to him...while I agree and have seen the Discovery clips about the dam, there is nothing that can compare with the sound and feel of standing next to those turbines.

I also agree with comments already made that it's worth the tour if you have gone to the expense of the rental car and time to the dam, why not invest a couple more dollars and do the tour (and it's an interesting history lesson too)

You could then drive from Hoover Dam to Valley of Fire and make the day of a trip out and away from the strip.

Edit to add...and we are all different so what appeals to one person here, may not to another so ultimately it's your choice :)

Edited: 25 April 2011, 15:25
Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoover dam - worth going on the tour?

Thanks again to everyone.

Has anyone been on both the 30 minute and 1 hour tours - if they have, can you comment as to which one you would recommend.

We are only in Vegas for 2.5 days, so unlikely to go to Valley of Fire afterwards (even though would love to).

Jason